Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil for DF4

Hi all-

I just purchased the 4 HP DF4 motor for my Porta-Bote.

I am wondering what is the best oil to use in it. I know what the proper weight is, but I am reading conflicting opinions.

Some folks are saying any automobile oil of the right weight is fine and others say that it is best to use a marine oil as there may be ingredients within that are more suited for outboard motors.

I tried to look for Suzuki oil and it isn't easy to find unless I want to buy it in multiple gallons, which I don't.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Rick

No not use Automotive oil, Marine oil is specially designed for marine application (high rpm, water content, etc).
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I found Quicksilver 10w-30 at Walmart, marked as Marine Oil, Four Stroke (non-synthetic) 10w-30.

I believe that this is the right type of oil but I wonder about the weight. The DF4 manual states that I can use either 10w-30 or 10w-40. I can only find 10w-30.

I have seen several posts which reflect a preference for the 10w-40 oil.

I was wondering if it is a hot/cold environment matter or not. I live in Florida where it is obviously hot, but there will be more days than not that I fish between October and March where the temps are between 55 degrees and 80 degrees.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Rick

Comment

You can use either one, 10w40 would be better, but either can be used.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X