Water in Oil 70 HP New Head required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in Oil 70 HP New Head required

I have a 2004 70 HP 4stroke Suzuki with only 300 hours. It has been serviced regularly and flushed with fresh water after each use. My last trip out saw the motor not wanting to go over 2000rpm and running very rough. I stopped and upon inspection found oil to be a milky white colour. Mechanic has since pulled apart to discover corrosion in head. His recommendation is to ditch the motor as we cannot be sure how much other corrosion is in the block. He has quoted a repair cost of $5000-$6000 AUD for a new head. Dont throw good money after bad has been the suggestion. I am very dissapointed in my Suzuki Motor with 300 hours to be a right off. Given the new price is now over $12000AUD I feel totally ripped off. Everyone is saying that they have not heard of this problem but this is of no comfort to me as it has happened. My question is do you consider it worthwhile to replace head or should i take the advice and ditch. Also do you consider that Suzuki would compensate me due to the very low usage. Advice is appreciated thanks

You may not be allowing the engine to get hot enougth to open the thermostat thus not letting through the system completely. Might as well pull the rest down and check for corosine,may be ok,as rebuild kits are not that expensive

Comment

Rebuild kits

Originally posted by catacom225 View Post
      You may not be allowing the engine to get hot enougth to open the thermostat thus not letting through the system completely. Might as well pull the rest down and check for corosine,may be ok,as rebuild kits are not that expensive
      Thanks for the advice Just wondering what a rebuild kit consists of and an approx price?

Thanks

Comment

The engine gasket kits run around $160usd, the rest of the parts will need to be ordered individually. Depending on the amount of internal damage would vary on rebuilding or tossing.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

you say you were quoted 5-6,000 for a new "head" do you mean a complete power head, or the actual head on the motor? has the motor been regularly serviced and the internal anodes replaced? I see you are in Australia too, is your dealer reputable? there is some rather serious corrosion issues started to appear in the earlier Suzukis, but so far, the 70 has been OK.

Comment

Water in Oil 70 HP

Thanks for your previous reply. I have approached Suzuki Australia (The Haines Group) for compensatiuon as the motor has only done 350 hours. regularly serviced and flushed after each use. They have declined to assist as it is well out of warranty. I am now agonizing over whether to repair at cost of around $5000. As salt water has been in the oil and the moto has been idle these last 8 weeks will corrosion be wide spread? Or do I buy a newy which will cost over $12000. Dont know if I could bring myself to try another Suzuki allthough they say they have improved since 2004. Thanks for your advice

Comment

Working...
            X