Prop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop question

I am buying a DF 175 to go on my 03 21' sea chaser boat weighs around 2800 pounds the dealer that is doing the install is puting a 16x18 1/2 ss prop does this sound right ?

Exactly the prop that's on my 20 footer with a DF150. Weighs about the same as yours.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the input gives me a little more confidence was concerned he may have been over propping it What's top speed on your rig if u don't mind me asking

Comment

On a rare calm day, with 60 gallons fuel, two on board, gear and all that (also has a T-top) I get about 37 mph at WOT (5700 rpm) by GPS (speedo says 42 at that point, but it reads a bit high once above about 30 mph). I doubt that it's overpropped. Mine is almost too high an RPM at WOT with just me and a light load. Also, I'm on plane within a couple seconds, regardless of load. I think it's a really good match for my rig.
        Last edited by Harper; 06-08-2012, 11:10 PM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

What kind of fuel mileage r u getting out of your DF 150 And have u had any problems with it

Comment

I'm running a 3*16*23 on my 175 suzuki. My boat is a 20' blazer bay. When running full 50up gallons fuel and 2 people i get 50 mph and on a good day i hit 52 mph. @ 6000 rpm. Im getting 4mpg. Wot....

Comment

*** thats good numbers all the way around I started to go back with another merc glad I didn't if the suzuki is even half as good as everyone says it is I'll be pleased with it I'm sure. I hope to get it back moday and take it to back bay to run it a little

Comment

Originally posted by Hookedup View Post
                What kind of fuel mileage r u getting out of your DF 150 And have u had any problems with it
                MPG runs between 4 and 5 usually. I've had no problems with my 2007 DF150 at all, other than a start/stall situation which has to do with a white wire which Suzuki calls the sub-battery cable, and/or batteries with an inadequate charge. The ECM is very sensitive to low voltages, but with reasonable electrical system and charge system maintenance, it behaves itself. There are a number of posts on this forum by me concerning that situation and how to deal with it. The first post I made about it is here... http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...odd-start.html
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Im having a flow meter installed as well so hopefully it will provide me with some good info. Any do's or don'ts I need to know with this new motor I know there's a 20 hour break in

Comment

Read carefully all the information provided by the manufacturer of any flow meter that you may be considering. Some will not work on our Suzukis or any other outboard with a dual, low pressure/high pressure, fuel pump arrangement. FloScan, unless they've recently come out with a new product line, specifically state that their meter will not work with Suzuki outboards. The flow meter cycles between zero and whatever as the low pressure fuel pump cycles on and off. I believe that Faria has a meter with which you can set a sampling time parameter to cover the entire off/on cycling time of the low pressure pump, giving an average fuel flow readout over the last sampling period. Other than that, Suzuki's own SMIS system provides readout of fuel flow, and that, with the proper cabling, can be hooked into and read by any instrument that recognizes the NMEA 2000 standard. I read fuel flow on my NMEA capable Garmin chartplotter, via a Lowrance cable set up by Browns Point Marine. Suzuki Outboard Parts & Accessories - Browns Point Marine Service
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I asnt aware of this I sure hope the dealer witch is certified Suzuki dealer is aware of this I can't remember the name of the unit but it was around 300 bucks

Comment

Wound up putting a 16x20 stainless Suzuki prop and I was convinced it was over propped then because boat fuel 4 men and gear I'm pushing 3200 pounds dealer assured me this prop was what I needed and told me if it didn't fit the bill bring it back and he would Chang it out at no coast to me finished break and finally got to where I could mash on it a little and loaded trimmed out At 48 mph the motor is a beast is all can say!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X