DF 175 prop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 175 prop question

Just purchased a 24' Sea Ark bigdaddy with a df175 on it. I have been in the market for a prop that will get this boat in the 50's running empty. The boat weighs in at 1700 lbs, has a 15 degree hull, the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the hull. I have a ballistics three blade 14.25x23 on it now, the boat will do 40 mph at 5800 rpms. I know if I go up in pitch I can get more speed but I dont want to slaughter my rpms to much. Had someone recommend a Quicksilver Torrent 14 5/8 x 21, with aggressive cupping. Next would be a revolution four blade in a 14 3/8 x 25. Can any of you guys give me some insight or point me in the right direction. Hole shot is not a big deal to me, Id rather have top end any day. Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately must of the fine tuning is trial and error.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I think the Suzuki stainless will be hard to beat. I have a 21' sea chaser and it's around 3200 loaded gas gear and 4 men I just in the last week had the 150 merc taken off and a new DF 175 put on dealer proped it with a 16x20 and it pushes my boat 47 @5700 I never would have believed the motor would turn that big of prop but it will. It's a beast !!!

Comment

prop recommendation

a previous poster, hit it - it'll be trial and error.

BUT expecting a 10 mph increase would seem to me to be extremely optimistic for a goal, especially with a 24' boat with 175hp. More practical expectation of improvement would be 1-3 mph at best.

if your current prop is turning 5800 rpm, any increase in pitch will reduce the max rpm, just as any increase in diameter will reduce rpm.

the revolution4 with 2" more pitch than your currently running will probably drop you to 5100-5200 (might be less) with the extra pitch AND extra blade and that would be borderline lugging the engine.

Comment

Working...
        X