df 60 `chattering` vibration noise at low revs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• df 60 `chattering` vibration noise at low revs

Hi all- hoping someone has experienced this....a vibration/ chattering noise at just above tickover. Seems to be coming from the front of the engine just below the flywheel -sort of behind the starter mnotor -possibly on the inlet monifold front/ side -quite loud - if I lift the revs slightly goes immediately. Have taken the flyhweel off and had a prod around cant find anything loose - checked the cam belt and tensioner - all good. All bolts tight. It does sound like a loose metal assembly rattling at certain revs but I cant find anything. any ideas of what to check ?

Not sure, might check idle air control, unplug it and see if noise go a way.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

hi thanks - i will check - but can you explain why the air valve can create mechanical noise ? Curious to know !

Comment

vibration/ chattering noise located

found the source of the noise that occurs at low revs - cracked ally casting that sits under the flywheel/windings and extends to the top of the starter motor. The windings are held down witrh three screws into the circular ally housing half of which is unsupported- the other half extends into the main casting - the unsupported half has sheared off and was being held in place only by one of the screws supposedly holding the windings assembly in place (the opposite was happening) lucky to find it - could have sheared away at speed - loose windings under the flywheel at a few thousand revs.....bye bye engine ! so weld or buy new ??

Comment

Working...
        X