98 225 fuel ball calapsing over time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 225 fuel ball calapsing over time

I bought a 21 foot center console with the 225 fuel injected. First time I took it out it started loosing power so I replaced fuel line and primer ball. Second time out. Died. Went through fuel system and checked and cleaned it all. Ran it again blew an o-ring on an injector. So replaced all the o rings but while working on it we noticed all the vaccum lines were missing so we replaced them all. Ran it again ran perfect for an hour or so then started loosing power and I noticed the primer ball was flat. I talked to a local marine dealer and was told it was a vacuum problem. So I unplugged the line from the vacuum control. Today ran it again and it did it again the ball was flat and was loosing power. What can be causing this? Should I replace the vacuum module or take off all the lines like the last owner or is there a fuel pressure regulator? Thanks for the help. Richie. In. SC

When your promer ball goes flat, open the fill cap on your fuel tank..if it fixes it you havea clogged vent

Comment

I opened the gas cap. And it didn't fix it.

Comment

Yea, that would have been too easy. In the spring...I have the boat with my 225 in the driveway on the trailer. I pluck off the fuel line fron the engine to the ball and hook up some clear 5/16 hose...I pump the ball a few times to get it going and gravity feed the old fuel into 5 gallon gascans..according to my flowscan I am gravity feeding at over 25 gph and the ball can handle that easily...your engine does not pull 25 gph. Have you run off of a separate 6 gallon portable tank to rule out any thing in your permanent fuel system?

Comment

No i have not. I was going to try that next.

Comment

I had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be the filter/screen in the pickup tube of the fuel tank was partly clogged.

Do as seaox230c suggests and try running it off a portable tank to see if it does the same thing to the primer bulb.

Comment

why do you need a primer bulb I run a 225DT from 03...never installed one and starts every time?? not needed folks?

Comment

Neal, you may not need one, and I don't think I've pumped mine since the first time I took it out this spring but, if you have one, and you have a venting problem at the tank, or a clogged pickup filter in the pickup tube at the tank you'll be able to T/S your fuel related problems as being before the bulb and not have to check out everything on the motor that's fuel related.

And if your fuel pump on the engine ever acts up, you can have your boating buddy pump the bulb while you drive to get you home.

Comment

Joe, that is true I have rolled the dice for a while now..I do keep one but my bet it needs replaced just sitting in a locker.....Thanks all good stuff!!

Comment

Working...
                  X