Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems in my DF 175

Hi everybody,

I have a new DF 175 with less then 20 hours, and last time I went fishing, I
    listened a strange noise when I put it in forward, its not a big noise but looks like a metallic sound, anything that seems to rub against another while it seems a slight whistle or a squeak, when I go up the rotation from 1000 rpm and when decelerating to low rotation or neutral sound ends slowly, the same happens when I go up to high rotation.
    Can you please help me on this matter.

Thanks a lot

Ricardo

ric that sounds like a dry shaft but only 20 hours it would be still under warranty ?

grease is your friend

Comment

Hi Mitch yes it is, have less then two months.
      But the problem is that I do not trust the mechanics who sold me the engine ... One of this days I went to see the level of oil and was about two centimeters above the maximum that the dipstick indicates, this can be harmful ....
      what will the shaft which may be without lubrication? The noise I hear yet
      hard in neutral, but will slowly disappearing, it might be the transmission?

Comment

ric if do something yourself you might void your warranty can you find another dealer or contact suzzzy directly and see if they can get a company rep to have a look as you have a large capital out lay at 2 months old to be making strange noises

Comment

Ricardos,

I have a new df175 with the exact same noise. I've seen others online with it to, but nobody seems to know what it is. If you get it figured out please post it here. The noise is driving me crazy. Everytime somebody rides on my boat the comment on how quiet the motors are then a few minutes later the squeeking sound starts at the 1,000 - 1,500 rpm range.

Comment

dusky

Take it back geeez you paid good money for the motor make them fix it .

But i will say that i think that it will be a dry shaft just a little bit of grease would fix

Comment

dusky I took a suzuki mechanic to my boat to hear the noise that bothers me so much, and he told me that is normal, the noise is coming from the injection pump sticking and taking pressure. However not convinced me, and now I'm waiting for an suzuki engineer to see what this noise is. When I have news, I will post it here, soon I hope.

Comment

Ric that,s crap good thing you don,t believe him

Comment

Ricardos,

My local Suzuki dealer said that it was a bushing or bearing that was some sort of composite material making the sound. He said he had seen it in several other Suzuki engines and a couple Yamahas. To fix the problem I was told the power head would have to come off, but if I just left it alone it wouldn't hurt anything and may eventually go away as the bearing (or bushing?) wore down.

I guess that is what I will do, but it sure is driving me nuts.

Comment

I heard the same sound coming from my 2007 - 175 Suzuki 2 days ago and then it stopped.....

(only after 2,5 yrs of careful use and just 34 hrs of operation)

See below:

Comment

Comment

What do you think about this ???

Comment

what the hell happened water ingress ?

Comment

I finally couldn't take the squealing noise anymore so I took it in for repair. The Suzuki rep recomended the main bearing be pulled which required my block to be pulled out. Long story short it still makes the same sound, maybe louder. While it was in for repairs the mechanics destroyed the paint job on the lower unit and the cowling, and ruined one of my hatch covers - but that's another story.

Plus... my other 175 is burning about a quart of oil every 25 hours. Maybe this is normal, but the other engine (the loud one) burns zero oil.

I've called Suzuki headquarters to beg for some advice on the sound, but they just tell me to take it to a certified mechanic.

Comment

Same squeaky problem again

I also have the same issue.
                              First appeared after first service at approx 23hrs. As described a squeal at idle. Contacted the dealer. They seemd to not know what it was. So I even recorded it on HD camera and contacted suzuki direct. They immediately told me that it was the ceramic bush on the shaft which needed to be lubed. They did this under warranty and the noise disappeared... at least until we got to approx 50 hours. Same again. Took it back to the dealer and they "adjusted " the bush. Only made it worse and introduced a harmonic. The rep then gave them authorisation to replace the bush. Engine has now just done over 100 hours and the noise is back again. Contacted Suzuki they suggested to try another service agent. ( Which i will be seeing in about a week ).
                              I can start it in the morning and it will be quiet as a mouse. Run it at cruise speed for an hour or two ,pull back to idle and there it is again.

The engine hasnt even had its first birthday as yet.
                              I have never had an issue like this before with any other engine and have owned Hondas, Mercurys,Johnos/Evinrude, Mariners and even a Tohatsu.

I am not an expert but this sounds pretty fishy to me. I keep gettin the " we have never had one like this before" yet the net is full of them.

I suspect it might be the shaft itself. Perhaps the way its been heat treated or the stock it has been machined from. Under temp it warps slighty. Then damages the bush. (???)

Comment

Working...
                              X