Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF115 - Stripped Oil Plug

Hi,

I have found my sump plug half worn from previous maintenance's and I finished off the stripping completely trying to undo it... yes - lots of nasty words where said!

Has anyone had success getting a stripped one out? Plan A is an easyout but not too excited about drill shavings potentially entering the sump... Plan B was making a slot that I could get a chisel onto and try and tap in an unscrewing direction as gently as possible.

Plan A seems the safest from a "breaking thing's" perspective, but I would appreciate someone's wise words of caution or a smarter plan!

Shan

I would try removing the cowling and tack weld the the hex on

Comment

I take it as the head of the plug has sheared off ? As cat said you can weld on a bolt then undo it BUT BE CAREFUL or a good crack or two with a cold chisel in the direction that undoes .

OR YOU COULD DO NOTHING you can buy a vacuum oil remover and suck the oil out through the dip stick hole. they are about 70 bucks.

Mitch

Comment

Thanks Cat, Mitch

Mitch - The head / entire bolt is intact, it's the center where the torque key (similar to an Alen key) goes that's stripped. I would prefer to get it out - on every future oil change I intend to replace it and the gasket ...maybe overkill but for the sake of a few bucks who cares...

Both solutions are something I would not have come up with, much appreciated fella's... cheer's.

Shan

Comment

Did you try a SHCS extractor?? Mcmaster sells them. I've always had good sucess with them. Hammer them in & turn away.

McMaster-Carr

Comment

I'd never heard of them, but after looking at the Recess-Grip Socket-Screw Extractor Sets on McMaster-Carr's website, that looks a real winner with the least amount of potential for kaka hit'n the fan ....it gets the first shot!

Great advise, cheers!

Shan

Comment

Working...
            X