Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Management System

Hey Guy's,

I just recently purchased a DF115 and i want to connect a fuel management system to this engine.

I have approx 150ltr under floor tank which is hard to get an accurate level in tank using old gauge and float level sensor.
    Can anyone advise me of the equipment i need to get?

You can have the Suzuki SMIS gauges installed that will display fuel comsumption or Flow Scan gauges offers a fuel management gauge
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

hey i too need that because i want to connect the fuel management system to my suzuki as in present fuel rates will increase so this will help me
      Car Performance Chip

Comment

Look, I've gone over this before. While some erroneously claim that FloScan will work on your Suzuki 4 stroke, that is NOT necessarily true. NONE of the Suzuki 4 strokes that has both a high pressure and a low pressure fuel pump is a candidate for FloScan (and that includes virtually all the latest large Suzuki 4 stroke outboards). While it will probably show TOTAL fuel burned, it will simply not work as a fuel flow instrument with these motors. The following is copied directly from FloScan's website:

Applications
        Fits all carbureted inboard and stern drive engines up to 350 hp.

Fits all EFI inboard and stern drive engines (including Mercruiser and Volvo) with closed loop fuel return systems.

Fits all Mercury Optimax, Evinrude Ficht, Yamaha HPDI, and Honda 4-stroke engines.

Fits all 2-stroke EFI outboard engines.

Important note for the following outboard engine owners:
        - Evinrude E-Tec 2-cycle
        - Mercury Verado 4-cycle
        - Suzuki 4-cycle
        - Yamaha 4-cycle

Please confirm whether your outboard engine listed above has one or two fuel pumps (low and high pressure pump). Earlier versions of these engines typically have a single fuel pump where a FloScan system can be used.

Newer model engines with two fuel pumps (low and high pressure) may cause the FloScan instrument's GPH or LPH readings to fluctuate between 0 GPH/LPH and approximately 25-50 GPH or 95-190 LPH depending on the lift pump and engine size. This is due to the engine's lift, or low pressure pump, cycling on and off while filling the vapor separation module. Though the GPH/LPH readings may not be usable under this condition, the FloScan instrument will accurately record total fuel consumption as displayed in the totalizer window.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hi Dale

Eliza here congratulations for your new DF115 as you are looking for fuel management system you can use this link where you can find good and better quality of fuel management at an affordable prices.

Comment

Forget the other stuff.

Your new DF115 is NMEA 2000 certified, so the easiest, simplest, most accurate way to get fuel data direct from your engine is to set up a simple NMEA 2000 network on your boat (starter kit costs about $60) and then buy a Suzuki nmea2000 engine interface cable and plug it into the network. Add a compatible GPS and you can then display a whole range of engine data, including fuel economy, fuel range, fuel used and remaining etc.

Many people use the Suzuki SMIS gauge/display (same as a Lowrance LMF400) to display the engine and fuel data instead of the GPS or sounder screen.

But to get the display to show real time mpg and a range of other things like distance to empty, you will need either a GPS or simply a GPS antenna to be connected to the network.

I have done this setup on my boat with a DF115, linked to my two Lowrance HDS5's via the NMEA 2000 network, it works brilliantly. I filled up the tank on the weekend, the system said I had used 63.9 litres, and at the pump, I got 63.7 to go in and it was full. Can't get much better than that, only a cupfull difference.

Have a look here for more comprehensive info on a post I started on THT about this. It is a long read but tells you everything you need to know.

Suzuki NMEA 2000 newtork + standard Suzuki gauges - it can be done - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

You can get the parts needed and advice online from Brownspoint Suzuki.

Cheers

ML
            Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-10-2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I'm sure that, as you said, the NMEA2000 interface works great with the Lowrance units. However I've found it VERY unreliable with my Garmin. Started with 60 gallons of fuel, and ran out of gas when the Garmin said I still had 15 gallons left. The Garmin has no way of calibrating the fuel flow being read via NMEA2000, whereas the Suzuki SMIS instruments do. I like my Garmin for mapping, but am about to add a Lowrance sonar, to supplement the Garmin sonar, and the SMIS 4" combination gauge to monitor engine related data.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

As I said to the OP, if he gets a SMIS gauge and sets up an engine interface and NMEA 2000 network, it will give him the info he needs and accurately too.

I never said anything about a Garmin GPS. Although I have set up several boats with Garmins and have found them to work just as well as the Lowrances, and also, have managed to calibrate the fuel flow on the ones that I set up so that they are just as accurate as the readings I get on my Lowrance.

Harper - are you sure that your Suzuki interface is set up correctly? The initial setup has to be done using either a SMIS gauge or a Lowrance head unit. The reason I ask is that some earlier versions of the interface had a fault in the software that caused them to lose the engine settings that are input when you do the initial configuration. If yours has lost its settings, it can result in the sort of inaccurate fuel data that you have experienced.

So, may I suggest that you go into your network settings and select the Suzuki interface and see if it it still showing the correct horsepower and year for your engine? Not sure if you can get that data to show on your model Garmin, if not, maybe your dealer can check it for you by temporarily attaching a SMIS gauge to your network. The Suzuki should show software version 2.30 if it is the current version. Any number lower than 2.30 and you have found the problem and the only way to fix it is to update the interface software.

If you PM me, I can send you an update file to update the intrface sw to vers 2.30. Or get your dealer to update it for you. that could well fix the problem.

Otherwise if it is just a calibration problem, fitting the SMIS gauge will allow you to calibrate the interface, you might have to do it 2 or 3 times and then it will be fine. You don't even need to keep the SMIS gaug on the network once you have done that, because the interface cable retains the calibration factor.

Cheers

ML

Comment

Appreciate the input, ML. Actually, I've wondered about the interface and have considered that it or the interface adapter might be the problem. I purchased the package from Brownspoint a couple of years ago and at the time the factory (Suzuki) had left the model year 2007 out of the mix. They had interface adapters for engines 2006 and older, and also for 2008 and newer. The guy at Brownspoint said he didn't know why Suzuki had dropped the ball with the 2007 models, but said that he had successfully set up some Lowrance adapters that were working on the 2007 models for everything but trim. So I bought that from him. I've not been able to access the interface from my Garmin GPSMAP 546S, so I'm not sure what software I have. I know that you already sent me the update once, Grant, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. So I'll take you up on your kind offer and send you an email, and I'll try and figure out how to access the interface from the Garmin. Still think I'll get the Lowrance sonar to compliment the Garmin. And will probably get the SMIS gauge, too, since the only info I get now from the engine is fuel flow and temperature and can access engine hours. Hope you're enjoying your budding springtime down there. I look forward to fall/winter with the hope of some rain to break this 2 1/2 year drought.
                  Last edited by Harper; 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM.
                  Mike
                  μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Got the Suzuki SMIS Gauge now....

....and I'm reviving the thread, because I have just purchased the SMIS equipment from Browns Point Marine, installed the latest Suzuki engine interface, and installed the Suzuki SMIS 4" Multi Function Gauge.

I thought I'd post up for those who are interested, because I think this is going to be an interesting test of calibration of the system. The owners manual that comes with the gauge says that the fuel flow information should be pretty close from the start, but says if you find that it's more than 3% off, you will need to recalibrate. So I expected that if it were off a bit, it should be no more than 5-10% off, maybe, and perhaps would require calibration. Much to my surprise, this thing hooked up to my DF150, is off by somewhere near 400-500%, at least. It is showing me burning 3 gal/hr at idle, and 23 gal/hr at full throttle. That's about ten times the fuel flow at idle and at least 3-4 times the full throttle fuel consumption.

So stay tuned.....calibration should be interesting. I've started with a full 60 gallon tank, and I'll be fishing for about six days on this trip. I'll top off when I'm done, and base the calibration on that. Who knows, the gauge might even tell me I'm empty before the six days is done. I ran a total of maybe thirty minutes today, and it says I've already burned 10 gallons of fuel.
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

***! That is seriously wrong data you are getting.

Wll watch with interest to see how you go.

On the latest interfaces, do you still have to go into the network menu and select your engine horsepower, model year etc? I had heard it suggested that they automatically pick up that info now, but am not sure if it is true.

Best of luck sorting it out! Should really be a plug and play solution, but sometimes the reality is different.....aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!

Grant

Comment

Yes, ML, there is still a configuration requirement, where you enter the engine model, year, etc. That's why I was so puzzled for it to be so far out of calibration after the configuration. I figured configuration to a particular engine would get it in the ballpark, then require only minor tweaking. Right now I have my doubts that the simple calibration process will correct such a large error, but time will tell.
                        Mike
                        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

did the fuel calibration of engine interface

Well, the SMIS gauge said I've used 22.2 gallons in the last three days ( a total running time during that period of barely over an hour). So I topped off the tank......with 8.5 gallons. Went through the calibration procedure, and now it's showing a fuel flow of 1.9 gal/hr at idle, a definite improvement over the previous reading of 3.3 gph at idle, though that still seems a little high to me. I didn't run it wide open yet, so don't know what that would show in fuel flow. I'll get a chance now to fill the tank once more and compare the gauge's usage with the actual refill amount one more time before I head home. Next boating trip will not be for at least a month, to check that recalibration if indeed it appears to be needed. I'll post my findings on the next fill-up on Monday.

The other question I have for anyone who has the interface and the SMIS gauge or a Lowrance HDS unit (Moonlighter?)....do you get oil pressure readings or water pressure readings, or do these features require additional sensors? My SMIS gauge does not really provide me with anything except engine temp, voltage readings, trim gauge, and fuel management. I had expected to be able to read at least the oil pressure via the interface.
                          Last edited by Harper; 05-18-2013, 01:44 AM.
                          Mike
                          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hi again

No, oil press and water press data is not sent via nmea2000 on the Suzukis, or at least it wasnt on versions of the interface that i am familiar with. Also, i dont think the engines actually have these pressure sensors fitted, so data might not even be available.

Might be worth checking if the latest version does, though.

You can check a couple of ways, probably the easiest is to go into the hds data overlay menu on the hds and select engine and it will list the options you have there. If oil and water press are not listed then you are out of luck.

Seems like your calibration process might be working. You might have to do it 3 or 4 times to get it really accurate based on your experience so far. Still, very weird that it was so far out to start with.

For what its worth, on my DF 115, once warmed up at idle speed (out of gear) i use about 0.8 litres per hour. That is about 0.237gallons per hour. I think you said you are running a DF 150, so i think at idle you should be looking at about 0.27 gallons per hour at the most.

Good luck, keep persisting!

Cheers

Grant
                            Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-18-2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the oil pressure, etc Moonlighter. I also believe the idle fuel flow should be well below the 1/2 gallon per hour level, so I intend to continue with the calibration, until the total used agrees with my refill amount.
                              Mike
                              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                              X