DF115 Shuts down with cowling on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF115 Shuts down with cowling on!

I have a 2001 DF115 and have new problem. When I launched it yesterday and started the engine, it fired right up, like usual, but then shut down. It sounded a little weird like it was missing and struggling to stay running. Continued to try and start the motor with no luck. Checked the fuel line, pumped the bulb and still nothing. Then, I took off the cowling and pulled the plug wires, inspecting for water and signs of issues. Nothing there. Tried starting the engine again and it fired right up, so thought the plug wires were the issue. Put the cowling back on and it died out. Took the cowling back off and it would start back up.

I read in a couple other areas, that the IAC valve or an internal exhaust leak would build up with cowling on and shut down the engine. Before taking it to the shop, is there anything I can check to see what the issue is? Thanks!

Check air vents on cowling are not plugged up, look for exhaust leaks on engine when running.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I had a friend who had the same problem on a 140 HP 4 stroke. Engine ran fine without the cowling but quit everytime he put the cowling back on. He had an exhaust leak in the engine seat. It is suppose to be a known problem caused by corrosion. it's an expensive repair.

Comment

It sure sounds like a leak in the engine holder, it is not always an expensive repair, but it can be, remove the top cowl, and the lower covers and check the plug near the flush port, if necessary, start the engine (on the flushers of course) and see if there is an exhaust leak.

Comment

Just had same problem .Corrosion known problem on older motors.
          Leak just inside rubber knockout above water rise out .
          A good welder can repair it cheap .JB weld is temperary fix but corrosion
          will get worst. Be careful of wires located in same area ,could melt

good luck

capt hook
          Last edited by capt hook; 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I ran some Sea Foam through the motor just as a what the heck since I haven't had any fault codes register. After the flushing I put the cowling back on expecting it to die out, but oddly enough it didn't. I shut it down, let it sit a minute and started it back up...same results. Its not idling as smooth and think there is still a little foam in the lines. I did get code a code 32 for just a minute during the flush, but it cleared itself shortly after setting. Still not convinced my problem is resolved, just new factors thrown in.

What's the best way to check for the exhaust leak mentioned above? Thanks for all the help!

Comment

The exhaust plug is a few inches above the flush port on the port side. Remove the port side under-cowling and check around the plug for a hole. If you find a hole remove the plug and weld in an aluminum patch.

Comment

Working...
              X