Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you apply antifouling paint on DF300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you apply antifouling paint on DF300?

Hi
    I would be grateful for anyone has any thoughts or experience applying International Trilux 33 to the engine saddle bracket and bottom of skeg on this engine DF300hp.

This craft is moored afloat in salt water.

I have a Ribcraft 850 sports fitted with Suzuki DF300hp. Both supplied new in January 2011. I applied 2 coats of Trilux 33 to the engine saddle bracket and skeg in March 2011 (underwater parts only and lightly sanded with 240 W&D before application) The boat was supplied with a coat of International Interpeed Ultra on the hull. In July of the same year I applied 2 fresh coats of Ultra to the hull and within 12 days the bar anode on the engine bracket was half eaten away and white deposits formed on all underwater engine stainless bolts. After replacing the anode the anode appeared to corode at the normal rate. The same has happened again in May of this year following a fresh coat of Ultra antifouling to the hull only. The 2 trim rams also corroded enough to cause oil to leak from the cylinders.

The boat has been returned to Ribcraft. Suzuki have authorised replacements under the warranty for these rams and seals and Suzuki technical department have looked at the boat and say that it is the Trilux33 antifouling paint on the saddle bracket that is causing the problem.

Trilux33 is the recommended paint by Internation for aluminium outboard / outdrive engines. Has anyone experienced this problem before? or can come up with a reason / solution

Many thanks

Don't have any experence with bottom paint but do see a lot of boats with lower unit painted with bottom paint.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I paint the lower parts of my dt225...any alluminum comaptible anti fouling paint is ok...DO not use copper anti fouling ...it doesn't shine like factory paint but it keeps the moss and slime off

Comment

Excessive corrosion is an electrical problem...not caused by the trilux. You need a zinc fish and you need to verify all your bonding jumpers are intact. I paint the lower unit only...just because its too much trouble to paint the saddle around the trim cyls...10 years no issues..all salt water

Comment

Get the suzuki report in writing and send it off to trilux....I bet they would love to hear that their best alluminum antifouling paint causes corrosion

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have checked with International Paints and they confirm the same also. I expect it may turn out to be an electrical problem.

Comment

Working...
            X