Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 dt40 oil injection delete

New to site.

I just inherited a Carolina skiff with a 1997 DT 40 that's been sitting for 6 years. Tore carb down and found one of the "posts/towers" for the float broken off. Got a new carb coming.

I would like to remove oil injection and go to pre-mix. What's involved? I've unplugged the 4 wire connector at the top of the oil tank and still have spark, will this create a de-rate situation when I get it running?

Any help greatly appreciated! I tried the search function, but it just routed me to a blank page?

first off, why do you want to remove the oil injection?

Comment

I failed a 98 mercury and also a 88-89 75hp evinrude with vro due to oil injection failure. Don't want to do the same with this one. I'm old school and don't mind pre-mixing. I also dont mind keeping current oil injection system on this DT40 if someone tells me it is bullet proof. The more simple something is the better I like it. Have to deal with too much electronics and modern technology at work to worry with it at home.

so will just unplugging wiring, removing oil pump gear and capping lines work? I also see a sensor in-line on the oil line that I assume is oil-flow sensor?

Comment

The Suzuki system is much more superior than the VRO systems. I have a 88 that still works great. I have heard no complaints from anyone with a zuki oil system.

Comment

I work at a Suzuki Dealership and Service center in Michigan. When I bought my 1995 55 hp Suzuki I asked the guys here if I should rip out the oil injection and they said "Why the hell would you want to do that?" Apparently they have not encountered issues with older Suzuki 2 strokes and oil injection. The system runs off the crankshaft which is much more consistent than other oil pumps from other manufacturers. They said there would be some other things to remove other than just bypassing the oil pump. I trust them and I am leaving it on my motor. If you're nervous, just premix your gas a little leaner than normal and monitor your oil level as you operate. You might smoke a little more, but at least you'll know if it's pumping oil.

Comment

oil injection

I have a 94 dt 40 and the bleed screw started leaking only to find out the screw was stripped and could not be tightened. My mechanic did manage to tighten it up but also said he has to bleed the oil system through the check valve and HIGHLY recommended I premix from now on. I thought he said just premix and when you see a lot of smoke then, and only then drain the oil tank and that was it. I don't know if there is anything else I should really know.

Comment

How did you end up disconnecting..I want to disconnect mine.

Comment

oil injection Suzuki dt 40

Sorry I have not been on the site in a long time. I disconnected the oil reservoir and main line and obviously the sensor plug that goes into the bottom of the reservoir. I then cut the oil lines that go to the block and plugged them. No problems. I do however have another question. Should the bendix on my starter disengage prior to the motor starting? Sometimes that happens and it disallows me to get the engine started when it is cold. Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Billcarpenter View Post
                  oil injection Suzuki dt 40

Sorry I have not been on the site in a long time. I disconnected the oil reservoir and main line and obviously the sensor plug that goes into the bottom of the reservoir. I then cut the oil lines that go to the block and plugged them. No problems. I do however have another question. Should the bendix on my starter disengage prior to the motor starting? Sometimes that happens and it disallows me to get the engine started when it is cold. Thanks in advance
                  Hello Billcarpenter...I am also removing the oil system to my 87 dt200...My question is: how did you handle the oil hose that comes from the bottom to the upper part of the engine that is lubricating?...can I just remove it as well and cap it?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                  X