Overheat auto shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheat auto shutdown

Hello, I am a new owner of a 19' C-Dory with a DF90HP Suzuki. I am learning as I go (long time sailor/diesel boat owner). Apparently I ran the boat with the outboard too far down (close to transome). It ran (on plane) for 1/2 hour then all of a sudden the engine buzzer sounded, the hot oil temp light came on and the engine shut down. I started it up after 10 minutes and when I moved the engine up a little, it sounded better (quiter) and I never had that issue again. I assume that the engine didn't get good cooling water flow with it so far down against the transome thus after a little time, overheated.

Questions:
    1. Did I do any damage? The oil level is fine and it looks clean (I just replaced it 2 hours before this incident).
    2. Is there really an auto-shutdown on these engines for dummies like me or did I just get lucky?

Also, as the previous owner did not show me how the fuel selection valve worked (for switching the on-board fuel tank from DF90to the kicker Tohatsu 6). I like this because it eliminates the portable fuel tank for the kicker.
    But because I was unaware of how the 3-way fuel selector valve worked (not obvious believe me), I ran the Suzuki dry (stalled) 2-3 times.

So...any damaged done here either?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by solstice; 10-06-2012, 07:16 PM.

Once the overheat warning is activated buzzer will sound, overheat light will come on and engine will reduce to 3000 rpm's. If continue to run engine then engine will shut down after 3 minutes of running.
    Can have a compression test run to see if any damage has occured.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X