Plug in engine holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug in engine holder

One of the plugs in my engine holder on my df140 is of due to corrosion around it in the engine holder. I realy don't want to have to replace the engine holder and I'm thinkinbg of fixing that hole by using some kind of oversize plug with a heat resistant epoxy.
    Has anyone else encountered this and how did you fix it. I can send pics if needed.

All the best to everyone willing to help

Rej

use the advanced search feature

Search "engine holder corrosion". Look for a post by Engorena, as he has the most detailed report and experience. He will tell you that your holder is toast at this point and anything you do will be a waste of your money.

Sorry bro,
    Briscoe

Comment

Plenty of reports round of people who have simply had the remains of the plug cut out and an experienced alloy welder weld the hole over for them.

Worth a go. I would not try epoxy - it is in a very hot position.

Regards

ML

Comment

This link should give you more info on your problem.
        2002 Suzuki DF140 four strokes Corrosion Problems? - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
        If your engine holder has developed a hole near the plug, remove the plug and weld an aluminum plate in place to seal things up.

Comment

Thanks but I have one more question

I ran the engine on idle with the hole in the side of the holder open. Of course exhaust comes out but I also get some water. Just wondering if that's normal.
          From my experience most outboard have a wet exhaust. Just want to confirm.

Rej
          Last edited by Rejean22; 11-14-2012, 08:14 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I'm sure the water is supposed to be there. If there were no water there would be little corrosion, in my opinion. Make sure you remove the steel plug to stop the corrosion caused by the dissimilar metals.

Comment

Working...
            X