No announcement yet.

Suzuki Jet 140 HP bogs down under load.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Jet 140 HP bogs down under load.

I have a 140 hp Suzuki with a jet on my river boat. When I have it hooked up to the hose the motor runs out strong. If I just back into the river just enough to get the motor in the water and leave the boat on the trailer, motor runs out strong as well. Once I put the boat into the water, either river or lake, motor is bogged down and won't run out for anything. Took it to my local boat shop and they couldn't figure anything out on it, probably since he is a Merc mechanic. Have gone through the carbs 3 times taking them out soaking rebuilding, still the same results. Have changed out spark plugs, fuel filter, all the fluids, no change. Has anyone else had a problem like this and if so what is the cure to fix it. Thanks

Have you looked at the lower unit? If you have a stick, pebble, or any other sort of debris it can destroy your power. I would have to guess that is the issue if it is running well on the hose and even when the boat is on the trailer. It will still get up to the right RPMs, but you wont get the right suction at the pump to create power. Rip that lower unit off, check the impeller all the way up to the tube and make sure there's nothing in there. Even a rock or two stuck in the intake grate can kill performance.

The other issue could be that the impellar or liner needs to be shimmed or sharpened.

Comment

Ya I have taken off the lower unit and have gone through it. Nothing looks like it would be causing a problem either. The shoe is brand new and it free of rocks and other debris as well.

Comment

The only other thing to check would be the splines on the driveshaft to make sure that the gears aren't stripped. Or possibly the keyway could be broken in the lower unit. If it starts and revs up fine then it's most likely in the jet pump.

Comment

I'll check that out when I get home. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X