Suzuki DT 85 oil pump leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DT 85 oil pump leak

I have a 1985 DT 85 Suzuki with an oil leak problem. Presently, I have replaced all oil lines, check valves, checked for leaks in the oil resevoir, replaced inline filter. Additionally, I removed the oil pump from the powerhead, replaced the o-ring on the pump, removed the drive gear retainer and replace the retainer gasket. I pulled the driven gear assembly from the powerhead, realigned the oil pump shaft and the driven gear retainer groove and fit the pump to retainer. I checked all lines (no oil leak) and checked under the oil pump assembly where it engages with the power head (no leak). My problem, I still have a minor leak (dripping) under the exterior lower cowling of the shaft and down the side of the shaft toward the foot of the motor (leak is on the same side where oil pump is attached to engine. I have searched and re-searched for leaks areas around the pump and where the pump connects to the powerhead to no avail. The leak seems to be internal and running down under the lower cowling and the exterior shaft of the motor towards the foot. Keep in mind, I have not restarted or run the engine and the oil leak is new oil leaking. Any help would be appreciated.

If no external leaks then must be leaking past shaft of oil pump into engine crankcase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Suzuki DT 85 oil pump leak

Thus far I have replaced the following parts to solve the leak: Retainer, driven gear; Gear, driven; check valves and all oil lines; o-ring between pump and Retainer, driven gear; gasket on Retainer, driven gear. I filled the oil resevoir approximately half full and within three days, I still notice a small seepage of fresh oil (prior to running engine) coming from under the lower cover or cowling (right side if you are looking at the front of the engine). I place a napkin under the oil pump and retainer driven gear but no evidence of an oil leak. Oil leak must be coming from the backside of the pump and running back into the crankcase and out. If so what is my next option...replace the oil pump? I know the pump is operating as evidence in prior operation of the engine.

Comment

Working...
      X