Low Rpms and Bypass screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Rpms and Bypass screw

Aloha from Hawaii. I have two problems with my DF 70 Suzuki outboards, and was wondering if anyone can help me.

Problem 1: 1999 DF 70. Motor starts up and idles fine. Shortly after reaching trolling speed of 3000 rpms, the motor rpms suddenly drop and won't go over 2600 to 2800 rpms. On my last trip, I was able to restart the motor and limp along, but the problem is getting worse, and now, once this problem occurs, I can't even put in in gear before the motor dies out. I tried switching fuel lines, but no change. The motor starts up and runs fine at the washdown rack. I am getting no warning lights or buzzers from the tachometer. I am guessing the problem is electrical, but don't know how to diagnose the problem. Help!!

Probem 2: Both of my motors: The nylon air bipass adjusting screw located on the inlet manifold is frozen in place. I drilled a hole in one and tried to remove it with an "easy out" tool, but it isn't coming out. It seems like the screw has partially melted in place. the easy out tool is only reaming the hole bigger. I think that what I will have to do is remove most of the nylon and then run a tap into the hole and basically rethread it. Does anyone know what size tap I will need? It probably is a metric size.
    Thank you for any ideas you may offer.

Claude Moreau

Check to see if loosing fire to cylinders by using a timing light.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Low RPMs

O.K., Thanks for the suggestion. I have a friend with a timing light and will see what happens.

Comment

Low RPMs

Thanks to all who offer advice. The problem turned out to be a bad coil emitting only a weak spark.

Comment

Working...
        X