Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

check engine light goes on and off.. with cover..PLEASE HELP..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check engine light goes on and off.. with cover..PLEASE HELP..

my twin df 140s are a 2004 .. one has an issue>> it runs great with the cover off/ also runs great over 1200 rpms... when you put the cover on it is starving for air.. runs like crap... that sets off the check engine light....it takes 1 min. when you put the cover on for this to happen...then the same thing when you remove the cover...it gasps for air then in less than 1 min. runs great again...and after 3 min...the check eng. light goes off ??? ran 30 miles at 4500 rpms no problem.... hit the no wake zone cut back to head way speed and it stalls....every time...???

dealer who sold them to me said to check the compression, manafold pressure switch, and a few other things... i have done all of them... pressure is fine in bot motors....still no change...

any ideas ??? please !!!

Thats bloody strange is there a fuel pipe that being crushed when you fit the cover.
    Is the pisser working ok as that water also keeps the return fuel rail cool check that none of them little hoses are not crimped stopping water return check that cooling water is conected to return fuel rail.

But none of these should set off check engine what code is flashing ? that would help.

light patten ,numbers of flashes then break then more flashes

eg 2 ...3 3....2

where are you in the world

Comment

hello, the light blinks 3-2...then beeps...then 3-2 again...as i said...that code is for the manafold pressure switch.... ?? i have twins...and have switched from the good running motor to the rough running one...it did not change anything... as for the gas lines and things.. i use her for off-shore fishing...we don't go if i have not done the 25 point check...to make sure all these things are fine...PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU MIGHT THINK??? THANKS RICK

Comment

Rick

That is map sensor 2 signal have you checked the hole in the manifold is not blocked with carbon not detecting change in manifold pressure . also check for vacuum leak eg missing bolt or loose

nah

there is something else going on , cowl air inlet not blocked with some thing like rag ?
        next i would pull the air silencer off and see if there maybe something in there as this is strange have they ever run ok since you owned them .
        Last edited by mitch; 07-02-2010, 04:21 AM. Reason: changed my mind

Comment

yes they run fine...

they have 1800+ hours on them we run 30 to 40 miles out each trip...

today i pulled the cover off.. ran out pulled our lobster traps...ran back to the marina...then another 30 minutes up the river at head way speed only ..to the gas docks...all with that cover off....never had a problem...

we thought also the cover...we have checked them....also switched them...no change.. my next step is to take off the silencer...to look ??? ....also when i pull it out...i will check all the hoses for vacuum leek...or anything else i see...i have to pull it out of the water for that.

thats not going to happen until after this weekend....the 3 h's ...90% plus from sunday till wednesday....i'm going fishing...

please let me know if you think of anything else....THANKS RICK

Comment

rick check your engine for exhaust leaks as i have heard of this happening with engine holder corrosion same symptoms

Comment

Ok, thanks will do that tomorrow when i go to gas up...please keep me posted with any other ideas..the book i bought should be here by thursday...then i will have the whole lay out of all parts...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mitch View Post
                rick check your engine for exhaust leaks as i have heard of this happening with engine holder corrosion same symptoms

ok mitch here is what i found out...cover off just noticed a small amount of water thought it was the water pressure valve...not the problem...
                It is above that there are 2 quarter size plugs with star or allen wrench wholes...they look like freeze plugs to me?? >> one is leaking when the motor is running>> can't find them in the service manuel i bought...the rubber seal between the side covers and the top cover to keep water out .. The one right along the bottom around the base of the motor...., is burnt from heat...i assume the hot water that has been pissing out...that motor water pump does not piss as much as the other...
                I'm going to see if i can take the plug out that is leaking...first i will look at every page in this book ...i hope to find something...

Got any ideas??? Thanks rick

Comment

yep you have found the problem it will be leaking exhaust gas as well under revs.

i will bet my balls to a bag of peanuts.

The water pressure relief valve left side of your leg a plate with 2 bolts holding it on about half way down but under the cover opposite side to drain oil drain plug .

it would appear that you are not alone on this in From 2005 them plugs are no longer as they are what was causing the corrosion . Pull your leg off and shine a torch up see if there is any more corrosion

yammay 225 and 200 four strokes are having the same problem

Comment

Working...
                  X