Temp Alarm / Parts Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Alarm / Parts Question

I recently bought a 2001 Suzuki 225 (not 100% on the year - The serial # is 22501131235 - but I think the heads are from a different engine/year) from a shop in Florida to replace my blown 225 on the new project boat. Well , I got screwed. The engine was not as described, at all. Luckily I have the old one to take parts off. I figured I would buy the same engine so it would be a 'plug-and-play' type deal with the gauges/wiring harness. Amongst a long list of things that were terribly wrong, was the electrical system. I've solved a few problems by trying to mirror the old engine. My latest problem is as follows...
    When I turn the key on (not all the way to start, but enough to energize the gauges), I get a temp light and beeping (the pattern of the engine light flashing is 1flash,pause,4flashes,longpause,repeat).
    I traced the problem the two 'cooling water sensors' on each cylinder head. One had no wires coming out of it at all, the other had three wires with only two connected (black - purple/white - green/red). The black and green/red were connected, the purple/white was taped off. Coming from the engines wiring harness is an extra black in the same area.
    The other engine does not have these sensors, the heads do not have the opening. That’s what makes me question the year of the heads.
    Where do I start...?
    -Where can I order parts? ( I can't find much info on 225s for parts - I found the part on smaller hp engines but I'm not sure if its the same).
    -How can I get a wiring diagram?
    -Where should the wires go?

The port side sensor - It doesn't even look like they are the right sensors for the hole. Three wires...

The Stbrd side sensor - no wires...

The purple/white coming from the sensor, tapped off. The extra black coming from the boats harness.

The Port sensor out of the head.

I found this...which I think is the right part...
    Suzuki Outboard Cooling Water Sensor - Browns Point Marine Service, LLC

But even if I ordered it, where does the purple/white wire go on the port sensor...and where would ANY of the wires go off the stbd sensor???

Comment

I ordered the sensor, the old was was faulty. I found this by doing a continuity test...the switch was always closed no matter what position (when testing the black and green/red wire together). The third wire (violet/white) is supposed to be left free.

Comment

Working...
      X