Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF175 Motor Stops

Hello,

This is for my 2011 DF175 with about 60 hrs.

Today while running my boat, all 4 indicator lights and the buzzer came on for a couple of seconds and then went out. A few minutes later it did it again, then went out. The 3rd time all the lights and buzzer came on for a few seconds, then the engine stopped. (I was running about 3500 rpm and up on plane when this happened) No obvious signs of overheating, low oil, over rev or anything. The motor started immediately afterwards and no other problems the rest of the day. I can understand one light coming on, but all 4 have me scratching my head. Any help appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Bill

Possible a loss of power, check battery cable connections are clean and tight, look for loose wire connections and engine grounds wires.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Sounds like the key switch is shorting. The service manual shows no codes with all 4 lights. All four lights only come on when starting the engine. I'd have the key switch swapped out and go from there.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It stopped twice today. It starts out with the lights coming on then going off, and it may do this a couple of times. Then the engine stops. One thing I haven't done yet is take note if the lights stay on after the engine stops. I'll do that next time I'm out. (unplanned stops put me in the semi panic mode and I'm just in a hurry to get it started again) Also, I haven't noticed if I have to turn the key off to restart,,,,,,,,,meaning that I have been turning the key off before restarting and that I haven't tried to turn the key to the start position without first going to the off position. Also, it's difficult to shift out of forward with the engine off, which is expected. I like the key switch idea but I'm going to take more notes before I go too far. Thanks for the input and any ideas appreciated.

Comment

After many hours of running, videos sent to dealer, and contact between dealer and Suzuki, I now have a great running motor. The ECM was replaced under warranty and it has run great since. I got lucky and got some video of the problem actually occuring. I sent this (lights coming on and tach going to zero) to the dealer and he sent them to Suzuki. They had never seen this happen and decided it was either the ECM or the wiring harness. First educated guess cleared the problem. Not saying they wouldn't have fixed the problem without the video but I'm sure it helped them understand that I wasn't a total wacko.
          Bill

Comment

Working...
          X