Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to adjust tension on throttle cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to adjust tension on throttle cables?

I have a single lever top mount binnacle for a DF175. I replaced both control cables recently with the exact lengths as the previous cables. I replaced the Yamaha cables with Teleflex Xtreme.

Took the boat out for a test run. After launching the boat, I immediately noticed that it required more foward travel on the shifter for motor to engage in gear. The reverse gear appears fine. The control lever shifts smoothly into foward and reverse. WOT speed is still the same.

When I shift to foward gear, the speed engages at about 6-7 MPH. Prior to replacing the cables, I was able to start forward movement at about 1-2 MPH (idle speed). When I cruise out of the harbor, I need to hold the throttle lever in place at 4-5MPH or the lever will spring back to neutral.

How do I make the adjustment so I can have the throttle lock in place at idle speed?

Any suggestions?

Comment

Unsure of exactly how the 4 stroke shifts but on my 2003 2 stroke...had the cables replaced last spring with the teleflex extreme, there is no "adjustment " at the control box end. The cables just slide into a slot. At the motor end there are 2 push/pull rods with ball ends? One does the shifter and one does the speed. The one that shifts probably has to be shortened. Pop off the ball end from the linkage on the motor, loosen the jam nut and rotate the rod end without spinning the cable..that might also mess your rev a little...Its trial and error until you find the sweet spot. Keep track of how many turns you adjusted and what direction with a notebook so you can always set it back to the way it was.

Comment

Just some clarification...you need to figure out which direction your shift linkage on the motor moves to go forward...and make that happen with less throttle movement. Its pretty self explanatory when the engine is in front of you..I just don't know what direction makes your stuff happen

Comment

This is how I installed the cables. At the binnacle control box, I adjusted the threaded cable end to stop at the end of the adapter and tighten the lock nut. With the control lever in nuetral position, I lined up the opposite end of the cable to the clutch lever. I pulled the cable ends several times to take the slack out. Then intalled cable end adapter to clutch lever foward and reverse position. Minimal cable tension was applied to the clutch lever during install.

Is it possible that the throttle body needs adjustment? I' ve read from other forum postings to not adjust the throttle body adjustment screws. There's two adjustment screws on the binnacle for tension adjustment but I'm assuming that's for holding pressure for the shifter lever. The lever's tension is not an issue so I have not messed with those adjustments.

My binnacle is a Yamaha 704 single lever.
          Last edited by seahawk IV; 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

NO...the throttle body has nothing to do with shifting. You need to adjust the shift portion of your cables...just unsure what to adjust without pictures or a manual for the 4 strokes

Comment

This is what I recall prior to replacing the cables. When shifter is moved to the forward position (out of neutral and in gear), the shifter had some tension keeping the boat traveling at idle speed or up to 5MPH.

Motor side: Today I adjusted the cables a tad bit by shortening the adapter length. With the motor running, this made the shifting a little smoother. I adjusted the adapter end to allow the cable to be a little longer and that only decreased the travel for reverse. So I went back to the first adjustment.

Binnacle side: From the neutral position (800 RPM), moving the shifter forward would smoothly put the motor in forward gear with propeller spinning (still at 800RPM). There is about an inch of free play before it clicks into the next stage. It maintains (800RPM) in this "free play" zone. At the next "stage" this is when the motor revs past 1000RPM and the shifter stiffens in place. The shifter starts to grab hold at this point but motor runs at about 6-7MPH. I adjusted the two screws under the binnacle cover. I only made about 1/4 to 1/2 turn clock and counter clock wise. The only thing that happened is the motor bogged down and shut off when I shifted in and out of gear. I returned the settings back to original prior to messing with it. Reverse gear is not an issue. I gave up trying today.

For clarification, is the shifter suppose to create tension immediately once it is in gear before it clicks into the next stage?

I ran the boat all day and the shifter held in my desired RPM without trouble. Leaving and returning to the harbor, I had to hold the shifter in that "free play" zone to keep the boat under 5MPH.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

You need to make sure that there is no movement of the throttle cable on the engine until the shifter cable has reached it full forward or reverse position.

Jim

Comment

On my 2 stroke there is a physical detent- a ball/spring/hole for N-R-F..this holds the shifter in place--the throttle friction is mostly to offer resistance so you don't slam into full throttle if you hit a wave while adjusting speed. If you think the shift linkage is adjusted correctly but still too fast..then back off the throttle link a turn ..do not adjust the tps its complicated and not your issue

Comment

Working...
                  X