broken off bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken off bolt

I have a 2003 suzuki dt225 outboard was trying to change impellar i managed to pull the 6 bottom bolts from lower end alittle trouble with 2 of them but they did come out .
    when i tried to get the seventh one under the zinc inside the lower cover it snapped off quickly i saoked it with penatrating oil couple time over couple of days did nt seem to matter Tried to drill out bolt use easy out snapped easyout .Question is can anyone tell me if the lower end will slide over the shoulder of this broken off bolt so i have room to work on the bolt or do i keep drilling till i get it out this soft metal worries me too much force and itll break anyone have any ideas

As long as head of bolt is broke off lower unit should come off over bolt.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

As stated, if the head is off, and you didn't bend it ...the lower unit will slide off

Comment

more of the same.

bolt was slightly bent finally got lower unit off applied heat to housing where bolt broke removed bolt soaked the 4 bolts for water impellar with penatrating oil let them soak heated slightly added more penatrating oil first bolt broke off with very little effort gonna let sit and spray often for a day or two.i turn wrenches for a living and have never seen such weak stainless bolts.Do they put locktight on these at the factory this motor has never been apart before is this breaking normal on suzuki motors.I had a factory tech tune up and go over motor last year and saw he broke a bolt i paid him to remove.should i replace with new bolts as i get these out

Comment

10 years will see lots of bolts seize nd snap off, especially in salt water use, wondering why the water pump was not replaced in 10 years.

Comment

Working...
          X