1988 dt140 alarm horn help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 dt140 alarm horn help

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 1988 dt140, I rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, installed a new impeller. I'm running the engine in the driveway on an enginestand with the controls hooked up to the engine. The problem I'm having is that the alarm horn come on steady for about 5 seconds ten goes off then comes back on for 1 second intervals about every 10-15 seconds. The engine fires right up and runs great for about 10 seconds then cuts out. She's pumping water like a champ, the oil resevoir is full, and there are no known fuel delivery problems. I aso installed new spark plugs and set the gap within the specs specified in the clymer manual. I guess what I need to know is what the alarm horn is trying to tell me and is it the cause of the engine cutting out.
    Last edited by Tripp Angler82; 04-20-2013, 06:01 PM.

If don't have the warning lights connected eould be hard to say what fault code it is.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Well i figured out that it was the water flow sensor causing the alarm horn, I unplugged the sensor from th harness to silence the alarm, but the engine still has the same problem. It starts right up revs up nice,sounds great, pumps water, runs for 10-13 seconds then stalls right out. I checked the fuel pump output by removing the fuel supply line to the carbs and it's pumping fuel aok. I also check the oil flow sensor is making contact closure as it should. I'm not sure on this vintage engine if a fault would such as oil flow sensor or water flow sensor has anything to do with shutting the engine down. Or if I should start looking at the carbs. Anybody have any Ideas. unfortunatley I only have a tach that came with the engine.

Comment

I am troubleshooting a similar issue with an old DT200. It definitely wants to run, but something is giving it trouble. I have flushed the tank, changed the fuel filter, run a can of seafoam through it, replaced the plugs.

My motor has been sitting outside neglected for about 2 years by the previous owner. I'm nursing it back to health. It will turn over relatively easily and will run for about 3 to 20 seconds and then quit. Often it will quit with a big "sneeze." I don't know how else to explain the sound, but if an outboard could sneeze, this is exactly what it would sound like.

When I pulled the carbs, they were terrible. You can see the pictures here. I learned, and you may have see on other threads, that there are some teeny tiny holes in the throat of the carb (if you're are the same or similar). These teeny little holes would be very easy to get clogged and I imagine would have significant impact on how the engine runs.

I am also missing some "air covers" as they were described elsewhere. On my other thread about this issue, I attached some pictures of the missing part. I'll find a way to replace those and update my thread as to the results.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

*** those carbs were just a tab bit dirty, I pulled mine off and when I took te bowl off the bottom carb and noticed it was freshly cleaned, not a spec of dirt or varnish in it so I put them back on assuming they were cleaned correctly. I this I'm going to take them back off and rebuild them, and check the measurement on the float. Just because they were clean doesn't mean they are right. Good luck to you too Cris, let me know how you make out.

Comment

Thanks Tripp. I'm planning to put the carbs back on this weekend and drop it in the water to see how she runs. Hopefully I'm getting near the end of this journey and can start fishing soon

Chris

Comment

Hey Tripp, I don't know if you're still following this thread or not, but thought I would give you an update. Rather than re-post my story .. here is a link in the other thread.

Thanks!
              Chris

Comment

Working...
              X