Head gaskets DT225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gaskets DT225

I am in the process of replacing the head and cover gaskets on my 2003 DT225...only "because". I wanted to see what the inside of the engine looked like. The old ones -original gaskets - came off difficult...like they were glued on. The paper gasket material left a residue that took several hours to scrape off with a plastic scraper. I have the factory shop manual and makes no mention of the gaskets..only the bolt torque and pattern. Do I put them on dry or is there some sort of sealant used. I know the metal combustion chamber ring goes on dry...thanks

Put on dry, no sealer.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

The head gaskets and cover gaskets are already sticky so that confirms the sealant question...my next issue is this...both the head and cover gaskets have this white layer on the flanges -head -and around the spark plug holes on the cover gasket. They are on one side only...the opposite side is plain brown on both. The manual obviously makes no reference .Does this white layer face the head or the cylinders on the head gasket and does it face the engine or the cover plate on the other gasket thanks..there is nothing written on the gaskets themselves...god I hate suzuki manuals
      Attached Files

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spoke to Dan at Hustler Sports in IL..He has been helpful in the past. He was unsure so he called the factory rep...they said it doesn't matter which way the gasket goes on. If you look at the pictures below...if I face the white sealant towards the head...there is an actual and complete surface on which to seal ...If I go the other way the outer section of sealant would be on the block edge rim, but the rest would be over the protection anode which sits lower than the rest of the sealing surfaces, the zinc enclosure sits about 1/16 inch lower than the mating surfaces so that sealant layer would never come close to touching. That flange would only cover about 1/3 of the zinc anyway. The cover gasket with its white sealant layer will also face the head..just because? I wish Suzuki was more clear in their manuals
        Attached Files

Comment

Well, I put the left bank head together yesterday..Made some alignment studs from some metric bolts..Clean and flat cyl head..head gasket white side up..Head..cover plate gasket -white side down..cover plate and then torques to specs ..hand tight...10 lbs...15 lbs ...21 ft lbs...then cover screws and t-stat...8 lbs
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X