Suzuki df150 running hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki df150 running hot

Hi I'm new to the thread and just wanting to ask about my uncles motor and see I I could get some help with it. It's a 2007 suzuki 150 four stroke and the motor runs like a clock when it is above 1200 rpms. When it's under 1200 rpms, the alarm goes off, the motor shakes real bad and we have to kill it. It says its running hot. It doesn't pee and he said it hasn't peed in a long time. He said he got a new water pump last year but after he got it the motor say for a year without being ran. He plans on giving me the motor and I was wanting to see what y'all thought about it. Thanks

If he replaced the pump impeller himself (or even if someone else did it), the impeller may have been installed with the vanes bent in the wrong direction. That would certainly cause the overheat and lack of telltale.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for replying. So you think that may be why it had to be at 1200 rpms or higher? I figured it might be weak or dry rotted and needs to be replaced

Comment

I wouldn't expect any dry rot after only a year or even two, even if it's not been run. It's not exposed to sun or anything else in the environment. I would definitely pull the lower end and check that impeller. As you reassemble, turn the driveshaft clockwise to flex the impeller blades in the correct direction. You can also blow out the tube on the telltale, or run a wire through it to see that it's not blocked. Some folks don't seem to be able to get a pee stream while running their DF150/175 on the muffs, but I've always gotten a strong stream on my '07 DF150.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

buy a genuine maual and look for the bypass/poppet valve location and check that.

Comment

Yeah, by all means, go ahead and check that, too (I assume you're referring to the water pressure valve, noelm). To access it, remove the cover and middle panel, left side (where the tilt/trim switch is). It's just below and forward of the left side flush port. Two bolts on the cover. Clean the valve of any deposits or replace. Check the o-ring for condition before reinstalling.
            Last edited by Harper; 05-06-2013, 09:36 PM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks guys I will try all of that, thanks again and I will let y'all know

Comment

Well guys, I checked the impeller and its brand new and everything on right, I checked the water bypass valve I believe it was and it was dry rotted around it. We unscrewed the 2 screws to take it off and inbetween the flush port and the bypass valve my uncle barely touched and it cracked and made a hole like it was corroded. We put jb weld on it to see if it holds. We went and bought a new bypass valve cover and a little piece that goes in it and told the guy there where iy cracked and he said it may be loosing pressure through the hole and whwn the motor is under 1200 rpms it doesn't have enough pressure to push it through. I will let you kno if jb welding the hole and getting a new bypass valve cover and the piece inside it works. Thanks guys or the help

Comment

Working...
                X