2003 suzuki DT225 lower unit ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 suzuki DT225 lower unit ??

Motor starts and idels fine. when you engage in gear it starts moving then acts like it disengages to neutral . the rpms goes up but the boat does not move. shop told me the prop had spun insert. $150.00 . same problem .I can remove battery cable and mve throttle lever to engage gear and turn prop it will turn the motor over . any suggestions on possible problem. thanks in advance

its possible you need new cables, or the shifter linkage where the horizontal cable movement is changed to shift shaft vertical cracks..common. If the cables are more than 10 years old they are probably bad. Does it sound like its clunking in and out of gear...how is reverse. Mine was clunking pretty bad and it ended up being the dog clutch and fwd gear

Comment

we watched the linkage and it did not move . I actually took the linkage off and put a screw driver so it could not move and pushed the throttle forward and once it hit we could not push throttle any farther so i dont think it is a cable issue . There is a claking noise but you cannot tell where it comes from . and yes reverse does the same thing. Low throttle seems okay but when you add any throttle or RPM the prop stops turning. with the boat out of the water if you turn the prop you can actually tur the motor over .

Comment

If you are absolutely sure the shift shaft does not move up or down on its own -this is awkward to do, but if sure, then your issue is the dog clutch inside the lower unit and requires a very involved disassembly.

Comment

Is this happening on both directions or just reverse? If reverse, then the big nut holding the whole gear system is loosened and thrust (or pull in this case) disengages the (rear)gear from contact with input pinion. Forward in this case still works as the thrust pushes the driveline in.

Just happened to know because I just had this problems with reverse today and now trying to find spare lower unit for my DT200 -87, any hints where to look? Hard to find parts for these and its even harder to find people who would ship the parts to Finland. Found one in E-Bay, but it costs about 800€ + taxes.

Jouni

Comment

Working...
          X