DF250 won't tilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF250 won't tilt

I am helping my friend with his 2008 twin DF250s. Both engines will not tilt up (stuck down). I hear the trim relays when the buttons are pressed, up and down, on both engines, but they still do not move. The buttons on the throttle controls and on the side of the motors all make the relays make a click noise, so I assume they are fine. I checked the 30 amp fuse on the motor, it is fine (visually and with an ohm meter). The history is that the engines have had intermitent problems tilting (sometimes one would work and not the other). Now both do not tilt. We just replaced the batteries and they are fine (13-14 volts). Any guesses as to what the problem might be?

I had a buddy that had the same problem. He solved it using the instructions here:
    Troubleshooting, Testing and Bypassing SPDT Power Trim Tilt Relays for Boats

Since you hear the clicking, at least you know that the circuit is probably good from the switch all the way back to the motors. This shouldn't leave a lot to trouble shoot. Its better than chasing wires under the deck.

Comment

2008 it should still under warranty

Comment

Thank you. Yes, they are under warrenty. They now are replacing both trim motors. It was confusing because both trim motors died (but one started acting funny a year ago). Then they worked fine..then dead again. The techie powered both directly and nothing.....Might have a dead spot on the winding or bad contact blocks. Everything else is perfect....love these engines. Update: Now one trim works again after techie left???. Crazy. Still want both trim motors replaced.

Anyone hear of anything like this?

Comment

did he pull them apart and have a look and test the armatures seems strange that they both croaked , does he lift them when docked in the marina or leave them in the water

yes they are good motors .

Comment

Tilt motor problems

I have twin DF 250's motors and the tilt motors have been both replaced and then repaired 2 more times on each engine. This weekend one of them failed again. While warranty has covered part of the cost, it cost me an additonal $500 to $800 every time to have the boat pulled, yard charges and the dealer charges me the difference between the warranty reimbursement rate and his shop rate. The motors were purchased in 2007. This problem is getting real old as I have $40K in motors that are defective and need to be repaired every 6 months. Has anyone had similar problems and how was it corrected?

Comment

Working...
            X