Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange steering issue Suzuki DF 2.5 HP combined with porta-bote

Dear fellow Suzuki owners,

I would like to ask you all a question related to my Suzuki DF 2.5 hp in combination with my 12 foot porta-bote.

The issue I have is, that if I push the outboard to only a bit more that stationary speed the steering becomes quite tough and "non-smooth". The steering becomes very un-precise because of this. Not good.

See the also this video where you hear the cracking sound the steering makes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ywVRzXoDZY

Now, my friendly Suzuki dealer points to a (probable; still under reseach) very unfortunate combination of a porta bote + outboard (+ outboard position) combination that causes a particular flow of water + pressure around the outboard for the steering to become so "non-smooth".

Extra info. I already:
    + lowered to wooden transom in advice of PortaTech (Sandy) in order to be able to turn the outboard 180 degrees (if needed), without bumping into the bote. This by the way has put the anti-cavitation plate on the outboard around 2-3 inch lower than optimal (=0-1 inch below lowest point bote).
    + put the outboard in the "third hole" as for its angle.

Please find a photo of my Suzuki position versus the bote: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortaB...984360411/view

What I want to try myself is to bring the motor angle / position closer to the bote (2nd hole).

So, my question for you is: could the Suzuki dealer have a point? Many thanks in advance!!

I have the same problem but it is not giving out any cracking sound on mine (mine is 2020 model brand new). At first I thought it was a problem of my setup. but I tried my Honda with the same boat and setup and it steers like charm. However, I like Suzuki because of its low noise levels. I am guessing it is a design problem where the water intake system is causing a hydraulic lock of steering somehow..I contacted Suzuki but so far no reply.

Comment

btw mine is a 20" shaft with a large rudder like spacer plate. I am guessing this is only a problem with the 20" units.

Comment

I just found the problem. The problem part# is shown below. This material is made of vulcanized rubber. What happens is that when you raise the throttle, The thrust from the propeller pushes the whole driveshaft housing forward and bind to the lower thrust mount made of rubber. This material should ideally be either plastic or something else. I am gonna try the black hot glue which sets like plastic and yet it doesn't bind like rubber. You can experiment this yourself. push the prop case to the stern and try to steer. It will bind on the rubber. Now, remove the part I mentioned and do the same, night and day difference! After removing this problem part, the steering tension knob functions as it should be. I think some Suzuki engineer decided to make this part out of rubber after a Friday night party. But I never expected this from Japanese Engineering.

Comment

Working...
        X