Noise in df90a when in idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise in df90a when in idle

New to forum but have a 2002 df140 w/ 1800 hrs and a 2011 df90a w/ 400 hrs. Used the 90 daily on a flats boat this winter and notice a clunking when in gear and at idle. Noise goes away in neutral or if rpms increased ANY. Cannot get any noise if motoris run on muffs.
    Called my dealer to inquire about cause and he said immediately that if I was running a stainless prop he knew the cause. The heavy prop was overrunning the shifter dog. I am running a 4 blade stainless.
    Has there been service notice about this? Should I worry? Can't really take it to a dealer who is not on water or wouldn't be able show them the noise.

Motor has been flawless and fuel economy is scary good.
    Suggestions........

I have a DF90A and have a friend with the same the same issue. Contacted dealer who said it was "prop rattle" and had to do with the slop in drivetrain that allows you shift in and out of gear. The problem is mainly with heavier stainless props and appears most frequently on the newer DF50's and the DF90A. He said it will not damage your engine, just a little annoying.

Comment

Did a search on the hull truth and found lots of good info on " prop chatter" including the cause. Mostly affects 4 strokes with stainless props. Mine is also a 4 blade which makes it worse.
      The only fix suggested is a mercury prop that is designed to solve some or all of this issue. Also less noticeable with aluminum props.
      If you troll it may drive you nuts but I don't so I'm ok as long as I know it is mechanically ok.
      Te issue seems to be the length of time between power strokes in the 4 stroke engines.
      Thanks for taking time to reply.

Comment

Working...
      X