Puzzling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzling

I have a new 2013 115 and have only had it out 4 times. First 2 times were fine. Third time fished a little tried to start motor,lights came on on panel but would not turn over,started back to ramp on troling motor, after about 30 minutes tried it again and it started, thought all was Ok. Third time started good on launching, stopped to fish for about an hour then when I started to crank it lights came on on panel would not turn over. Trolled out got a guy to pull me to ramp, on the way kept trying and 1 time it turned over but didn't crank and wouldn''t do it again. Got home checked all fuses and they were O K. Checked batterry connections. Charged Battery until fully charged still lights came on and would not turn over. Next mornong went out and tried it again and it turned over. Have tried it several times and it is still turning over. Any thoughts on this mystery

Sounds like either starter switch (key switch) or one of the neutral safety switches (one at the motor, one at the binnacle). Also possibly a faulty starter relay. Or any one of the smaller gauge wires associated with those circuits.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Mike after reading you reply, I went out and moved the handle about an inch foward and back and now I get the lights but will not turn over. Does that help narrow it down

Comment

That isn't necessarily a valid check of the neutral safety switch, since in the neutral position and safe to start, the switch is actually "on", telling the ECU that it's safe to crank the engine. When the ECU receives voltage through this switch, it will allow activation of the start relay with the key turn. If the switch is loose, and far enough out of adjustment that it never closes, or closes intermittently, you still wouldn't be able to start even with the throttle control slightly off center, since the ECU is not receiving any voltage through the switch. I'm talking here about the switch on the throttle mechanism on the motor itself. There is a throttle position sensor, and a separate neutral switch on the motor. You might have to have a helper to move the throttle lever while you observe the operation on the motor. My engine is a DF150, but I think many of the same controls are on your DF115. You need to find and identify the neutral switch among the throttle mechanism on your engine. It will be actuated by some cammed surface on the throttle.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
        X