df60 teltale no water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• df60 teltale no water

Recently fitted a new impeller, filters, cambelt.
    On startup the telltale was weak -(running in a drum of water to normal immersion level), was out today engine running fine, but realised only a trickle of water from the teltale then nothing. Took the boat to the beach, pulled out the telltale plug, started the engine still nothing. tried to blow into the telltale hole - cannot blow or suck at all. I dont know if the engine was overheating, certainlt was running fine, no warning buzzers or lights.....so am I probably correct in guessing that the (and i am guessing here!) the teltale supply comes from the block, and some crap or salt crystals have blocked the outlet from the block? cant understand why i cannot blow or suck anything into or out of the teltale hole when the plug is removed - given it should allow a good squirt of water usually. Or should i run the engine and loosen a hose see if water is curculating? where to start?
    Last edited by houtbai; 05-25-2013, 05:34 PM.

With the teltail plug removed blow compressed air in teltail discharge. This should take care of your problem, seem like this is the most pouplar question asked for most of the DF engines.

Jim

Comment

thanks jim and apols for much asked question , guess i always want to ask too much -but is the teltale hole straight into the block or is it supplied by a pipe ? can you suggest where in the metal hole that the water should exit ? fished around with a smal screwdriver but couldnt feel the hole inside. I will put an airline on it but will try and do so when its running in the hope the crap moves and is carried away in the water. had a FANTASTIC day though wading through knee deep water pulling the boat across the dovey estuary sandbanks at low tide ! african queen jobbie burning hot day west wales, Reccommended!

Comment

All of my experience has been with DF 140's, they have rubber hose connecting the teltale to the engine block. On the DF 140's there are several external hosed that route the cooling water.

Comment

hi thanks and just confirming `job done`, use a few pieces of plastci hose sleeved into one another elec insulating tape to make a tight fit - pushed into the un plugged teltale housing. quick blast of air and at last i can blow through it. then connected to hose to it - wash away the debris, and forced some strimmer nylon line into the fitting several times went in about 6 inches....) nother wash out and bang on ! loads of teltale volume squirting 8 foot or so.

Comment

Working...
          X