1990 dt75 slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 dt75 slipping

i have a 1990 dt75 runs great, but when i try to come up on plane it feels as if something in the lower unit starts to slip. almost like a sliping transmition in a car, anyone ever run into this problem.

Sound like you have a bad prop. The rubber hub has most likely failed.

Comment

i sure hope you are right the prop thats on it now doesnt have the rubber hub, its the older aluminum prop

Comment

The alloy prop almost certainly has a rubber hub in the centre. You may not be able to see it, but it is there.

These hubs are frozen with liquid nitrogen and pressed into the centre of the prop. Yours has deteriorated and is slipping as soon as the load of trying to push the boat onto the plane comes on.

If the prop is still in good condition otherwise, you can take it to a prop repair place and they will install a new hub for you. Problem solved.

Cheers!

Comment

ok more quick question and I promise ill let this go, I got a replacement prop fits great only problem is on the back side of the prop its groved to set inside the gear housing around a quarter of a inch. but my new prop doesn't go far enough back, the is about a quarter inch between the back side of the prop and the lower unit housing will this be a problem.

Comment

If you didn't buy the exact same prop you may need a different thrust washer.

The thrust washer the one that you install before installing the prop, this carries all of the forces when in forrward gear.

Comment

when i put the prop on with oem thrust washer the prob gets very tight and will barley turn in neutral, allso the thrust washer seems to be wearing or grinding on the front of housing where it meets im at a bit of loss here. the prop thatr came on the motor was a after market someone hade made a homade fix with jb weld or something to extend the prop housing out over the recesed part of the prop

Comment

Working...
              X