1986 DT200 Carb Sync Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 DT200 Carb Sync Procedure

Are there any good write ups or videos available for how to synch the carbs on a 1986 DT200?

Thanks,
    Chris

I'd be happy with a good video on any outboard carb sync procedure ..

I've seen plenty of youtube videos on the procedure for motorcycles .. but not for an outboard.

Actually I would be interested in any details about general carb tuning on a 2 stroke outboard carb.

Thanks,
    Chris

Comment

I dont have a video but I am a new owner of a 1988 dt200. How long have you had yours.

Comment

Hey seylerf22. Technically I've had the motor for about 13 years, back when my dad and I bought this boat on Lake Lanier north of Atlanta. My dad and I used the boat for about 3, maybe 4 seasons. Then my folks moved to Bluffton, SC near Hilton Head and we thought it would be better to have the boat there. Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, the boat basically sat unused for many many years. I finally went down there and dragged the boat back to Atlanta so I could see about bringing it back to life.

For the most part, I really think things are going well. I pulled the carbs and gave them a really, really thorough cleaning. I have pics of the nasty carbs. I should have taken some after I cleaned them.

The motor has been generally running pretty well. I'm battling a water in the fuel problem right now, and I also think the carbs might need some "tuning" but I'm such a novice, I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm learning as I go.

I figure at the very least I need to adjust the ss / idle whatever screws so they're at least uniform. I really thought I had done that while the carbs were off, but I was looking at them the other day on the water and they didn't look the same. Somewhere earlier (could be on a different thread or different forum) I posted how the screws were adjusted. I want to say it was about 2 and 3/4 turns back from seated.

The only other issue I've had is some corrosion in the jackets. I think that's what they're called. Anyway, I don't think the few times the motor was used in salt water it was properly flushed. So occasionally I will have to poke a wire up in the pee-hole to dislodge some small piece of debris.

Other than a few minor things like that .. and really what motor wouldn't have some issues after that much neglect . I would say it's a really strong motor.

I'm very interested to hear what sorts of tuning / maintenance / repairs / improvements others have made to their DT200. I have a small "hack" I made to the carbs. There's some sort of little plate that sits in a hole on the carb body, just above some teeny little holes. Several of these plates were missing, so I made some out of beer bottle caps. They're very colorful in contrast with the gray carb body, but seem to be holding very well

Anyway, would love to hear about your DT200.

Chris

Comment

Corrosion is notorious on the Suzukis from what I have been told. Basically run them until they quit. I also had to dislodge the pee-hole along with replacing the impeller etc.

Regarding the idle screws there is a spec chart in the manual and it is from 3/4 to 2 turns back from seated on the dt200 if I recall correctly. Mine seems to idle a bit high and when i engage it in gear the rpms drop to the point it cuts off.

I also went through and rodded out all of the jets etc on the three carbs last week. Did the seafoam treatment and all. Runs good when it will crank, My biggest problem is after I crank the motor with the help of Starting fluid that it idles great until I turn it off. Then it will not restart. Almost like it is flooding, I am lost at this point. Hoping to tinker on it more this afternoon.

So far I have gone through the carbs, replaced the impeller and lower unit bolts, replaced the lower unit oil, removed the thermostats (frozen shut) and attempting to drain the fuel tanks.

Comment

I just posted a new thread where I include a youtube video of my DT200 running on muffs.

I've done a lot of the same things you've done .. changed the lower unit oil, new plugs, gone through the carbs twice now. My thermostats / temp sensors seem to be ok. The impeller must be at least adequate as it seems to move enough water through to keep the engine cool, but I'm sure it should be replaced.

I would like to get the manual for this motor, or at least the Clymer for it. Anyone know if they're any good?

Chris

Comment

Yea I replace the plugs as well.

My brother purchased the manual for $5 bucks somewhere online. Made a CD of the files and printed it all off. Probably 20 dolalrs in paper and ink toner.

Comment

I tried purchasing one of the digital manuals from a guy on Ebay and one of these other websites that has lots of digital manuals .. but the image quality was so poor I asked for a refund .. there were images and tables and specifications that were literally unreadable. I guess I'll need to get a Clymer or find someone on ebay with an actual manual.

Comment

Well I had the boat running again yesterday. once it warms up it can be shut off and then starts right back. However my problem occurs when I shift it into gear the motor shuts off. I am trying to readjust the carbs due to it running too rich.

Yea we must have bought the same manual some of it us difficult to read.

Comment

I think I'm going to drop mine in the water this afternoon and see what happens. You may have seen the video I posted of my carbs pulsating gas out of the jets on the top setof carbs. I have no idea if that's normal or what. I'm going to see what happens.

Comment

How are things going with your motor these days? Mine is kind of hit or miss. A couple weeks ago I went to the lake with the wife, backed in at the ramp and was getting a lean sneeze on the ramp. Took the cowling off to inspect and there was gas spraying out from behind the carb whenever it would sneeze. So I pulled out, adjusted the mixture screws (I have had best luck with 2 full turns out from seated), and put it back in. This time, it didn't sneeze, but rather than gas spraying when it sneezed, it sprayed all the time. Found the loose hose and tightened it all up. After that it ran like a dream. Idled so smooth and easy. I ran it pretty wide open for about a mile or two out and and back. I really thought everything was ****en.

I didn't do ANYTHING with the motor after than and the very next trip, I had to get towed back in (thank you BoatUS!). I was able to start up at the ramp, idle sounded good, idled out of the no wake zone, and then went up on plane for about 3 minutes. Stopped the motor and swam around for maybe 15 minutes, and then had a little trouble getting it started. I couldn't get it to idle at all under about 1500 RPM. Anytime I would drop the throttle down it would just stall. I was never able to get the prop engaged, because everytime I would come back to idle position it would die.

I guess my idle jets on one or more of the carbs is clogged? I have pulled the carbs and cleaned them THOROUGHLY at least three times in the past 3 months.

I might be getting close to calling a professional and letting them take a look. I feel like the motor is soooo close to being great, I just need someone to take the ball over the goal line, since I can't quite get it there myself .. Anyway, I would be interested to hear how things are going with your motor these days.

Thanks,
                      Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X