Suzuki DT115 Outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DT115 Outboard

I purchased a Suzuki Boat last year 16 ft with a DT115 outboard motor on the back. It ran great for about 2 weeks, then the problem started. It will not plane out at full throttle, but it run great when it idles. I was told that it could be one of my ignition coils. I checked each plug and they were wet from fuel. Could this be the problem? How do know which one is bad?
    Thanks, overshot1

check low pressure fuel pump or vst either if bad will foul plugs.

Comment

I have the same problem on my 1991 DT115.
      The mechanic said I either have a faulty throttle sensor or my ignition pack is faulty or possibly the gear tooth counter on the flywheel.Sounds like he will change parts till he finds the problem
      According to the timing light the spark is not advancing and my maximum rpm in gear is 3400rpm
      I read in a reply regarding this problem on a twin install (Mitch) that perhaps the neutral switch inside the engine cowl may be stuck in the neutral position,is this switch easy to find if it is on my motor?
      Thank's in advance guys

Comment

Originally posted by Seachange View Post
        I have the same problem on my 1991 DT115.
        The mechanic said I either have a faulty throttle sensor or my ignition pack is faulty or possibly the gear tooth counter on the flywheel.Sounds like he will change parts till he finds the problem
        According to the timing light the spark is not advancing and my maximum rpm in gear is 3400rpm
        I read in a reply regarding this problem on a twin install (Mitch) that perhaps the neutral switch inside the engine cowl may be stuck in the neutral position,is this switch easy to find if it is on my motor?
        Thank's in advance guys
        I looked today and couldn't find a limp home switch under the cowling near the gear linkage so it look's like start at the throttle position sensor unit and work my way back to the ignition unit
        Glad the boat is still useable up to 2200 rpm so I can at least go fishing

Comment

I had a 2nd mechanic take the boat for a run and he says all is o.k.-BUT-my prop may be too big and I will need a foil on the cav plate
          So now I have 2 mechanics that can't agree on my problem.
          I have another mechanic organised for next week who I used when my boat 1st arrived from o/seas and we had to remove the gearbox-he is going to come for a run and check the timing b4 the boat comes out of the water for an antifoul.
          Looks like I will be ordering a foil and prop from Stateside as they are too expensive here even with the freight added on

Comment

Working...
          X