Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 DT140 Not Turning Over

Hello All,
    About 3 months ago I bought a use boat and motor off Ebay (AS IS). The motor is a 1998 DT140. I notice from a parts list that the motor has two fuel pumps, however the electric one was missing here. I have replace the fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel bulb, and fuel lines. I have checked and cleaned the injectors, and the separator. My issues is the motor will not turn over. It has fire (had a mechanic check it out) and it seems to be fuel issue. I can get it to fire for a quick second with starter fluid, but nothing longer than a quick second. Everytime I crank it and check the bulb afterwards it gets softer (requires about 3 - 4 pumps to get back hard). I am thinking it is the mechanical pump since the bulb gets soft??? any suggestions on where to start??

If the bulb is getting soft, most lakely there is a restiction between the bulb and the fuel tank.

JIM

Comment

Thanks Jim, I will check that. A fuel/water separator was added to the boat about 6 months ago by the pervious owner (Between the bulb and the tank). This would not slow down the flow of fuel enough for the motor would not start would it?

Comment

98 dt140 efi

Well it has been a few months, but I wanted to update my issues. I had a mechanic to start checking my boat out. He got it running (bad fuel in the tank was the main issue). It idle roughly, but ran. He put in the bay for a test run and it died after about 3 minutes of running just fine. Now it will not fire. Went back over everything we could think of compression, fuel pumps, fuel lines, spark plugs, and injectors. The injectors stop working, it seems the ECU is sending out 16V to the injectors which burns them out (they call for 12V). We are thinking the ECU needs to be replaced (costly). Any other suggestions?

Comment

Hi had similar problem turnd out there is 2 feeds to the ecu and the one with the 25 amp fuse was faulty found this out after fitting a new ecu �� the old one was ok after all also found the connector from the fuel line to the engine was worn and was letting air in changed it and all ok now hope some off this helps
          Last edited by Calum10; 04-06-2014, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X