1988 DT 200 No power under load and hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 DT 200 No power under load and hard to start

Well I have been working on my motor for about 3 weeks now and am nearing the end towards giving up.

How it started - 1988 DT 200 suzuki sat for about 2 years. Then I purchased the boat started the engine on new fuel. Engine was not producing water. Replaced impeller and replaced sealsand lower unit oil.

Engine starts and produces water. Engine revs in neutral. Seafoamed engine. Burnt lots of carbon out. Replaced fuel with seafoam for regular fuel ran for 15 minutes and changed spark plugs.

Removed the carbs and cleaned each carb blowing out the jets and using a needle to clear of any debris. Reinstalled carbs and it ran correctly with muffs and in a bucket of water.

Replaced fuel lines to fuel filter (note I am still funning out of a 5 gallon jug of fuel). Cleaned fuel filter.

Motor will run for 20-45 minutes at a mid idle. Never once cutting off.

Put boat in water for a sea trial and once i put the engine in gear the motor shuts off.

All throughout this process it takes a good bit of time to crank the engine-which requries me to use starting fluid. Many times once I cut the engine off it is hard to crank directly afterwards.

However on Friday the 14th of June I drove the boat about 1/2 mile in gear no problems however I could not get the boat to place off or take more than 1/8th of the throttle baout 5 mph without bogging down and shutting off. At this time I could turn the key and the engine would turn right over.

My best day in 3 weeks of the motor running.

I made it back to the dock and noticed the line from the fuel filter to the fuel pump was kinked and had a small cut in it. I imediately removed the line, cut the kink out and replaced it back on the fuel filter.

So i said that fixes it. Well I cannot get the motor to start. It may start for about 1 second but cuts off immediately like it is not getting fuel.

I removed the carbs again and went through them again and nothing changed. I also set all 6 of the fuel mixture screws on the side of the carbs to 1.5 turns from lightly seated as the manual describes.

The bowl is tight with fuel and I dont seem to be losing pressure.

I have had 4 people with boats all their lives say that the starter should be turning over much quicker. So i am having the start gone through today and going to purchase a new battery tomorrow.

I need to set the timing/sync all the carbs next. But I thought setting all the fuel mixture screws to the correct setting would sync the carbs am I wrong?

If this doesn't work I am out of ideas.

1. Check the ignition system for not producing enough spark?
    2. The engine is getting too much air.

Any help is appreciated before I sell the whole boat.

I have not checked the fuel pump pressure... which i think should be around 36 psi based on another thread.

And I have not tested the TPS the mechanism at the base of the lowest carborator to check the ohm readings on it. Is there a more simple way to check the TSP/VST without reading the ohms

Comment

Well I purchased a new battery andthe motor started right up. The starter was cleaned and the brushes inside were in good shape. The motor goes I ro gear but eventually shuts off while moving forward. Si when I go to give it any throttle she Boggs down. I tried pushing/holding the choke but that doesbt help.

Ant ideas folks?

Comment

The 36 psi fuel pump is for the fuel injected models..i am not sure what the carb pressure is but its usually much lower than fuel injection. Don't know much about the carb motors..I have done all my work on the post 2000 year FI motors.sorry

Comment

For the cranking, are you sure the magnetic valve is working on choke? I have DT200 and the valve was stuck aka not working at all. I decided to dump the choke assy alltogether and replaced that with Evinrude choke system. Much simpler and it works always (plastic cylinder filled with fuel and choke just empties the fuel to system).

You have done so much already, so why not check the fuel pumps also and buy new pump elements to those. It costs next to nothing and easy to do. If there are cracks on that rubber element, the pump wont work properly and fuel goes directly to crank case.

How is the caps for spark plugs? Those can be cracked also, at least mine were. Changes all the caps to motor bike type of caps, nice, cheap and neat. Original parts costed insanely much.

Comment

when you cleaned the carbs are you sure all the gaskets that go between the carb and the motor are on the right way? if you put one on backwards it will block part of the hole and the motor will start but not stay running. did that one once...

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDjob View Post
              For the cranking, are you sure the magnetic valve is working on choke? I have DT200 and the valve was stuck aka not working at all. I decided to dump the choke assy alltogether and replaced that with Evinrude choke system. Much simpler and it works always (plastic cylinder filled with fuel and choke just empties the fuel to system).

You have done so much already, so why not check the fuel pumps also and buy new pump elements to those. It costs next to nothing and easy to do. If there are cracks on that rubber element, the pump wont work properly and fuel goes directly to crank case.

How is the caps for spark plugs? Those can be cracked also, at least mine were. Changes all the caps to motor bike type of caps, nice, cheap and neat. Original parts costed insanely much.

SPARK PLUG caps are good to go. I haven't messed with the fuel lines or replaced the diaphragm in the fuel pump. I have basically gotten discouraged and trying to sell the boat at this point. It seems to me to cut my loses and move forward however if I replaced all fuel lines and fix replace the diaphram innards. I just hate dumping money into things. With the realization that if and when I do get it running its gonna cost so much to operate i m better off with a small Jon boat. I did notice a crack in a fuel line the last time I tested the engine so there are bound to be more. Which could be the root of the problem in itself. Thanks for the advice. And if anyone wants the boat motor and trailer then make an offer l can't resist. ol.

Comment

Working...
              X