DF90 (2005) felt like it was running out of gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF90 (2005) felt like it was running out of gas

Yda, I was out in the boat, & everything was fine.
    I started, ran, & shut the motor numerous times.
    Then once after starting it back up, & running it in a no-wake zone, it stumbled, idle dropped, & stalled, like it ran out of fuel.
    I started it back up, & it never picked up to normal idle, but instead, stalled right away, like it was out of fuel, & wouldn't restart.
    I checked the primer bulb, & it was soft.
    I pumped it back up, it hardened up right away, & started right up, & ran fine afterwards.
    Any thoughts?
    I'm sure this is gonna happen again, & I fear that something may be going on with one of the 2 fuel pumps.
    The anti-siphon valve has been removed 8 yrs ago from the gas tank output pipe because the DF90 was having trouble sucking fuel past that valve.
    I never had that issue again after that.
    (until yda)

the primer being soft more or less tells you the problem is from the primer back to the tank and up to the air vent, try the easy stuff first, make sure your breather vent is clear, replace the primer and fuel hose (all of it) is there a filter between the primer and the tank? if so, replace it.

Comment

I planned on changing the bulb. (just haven't gotten to it yet)
      But the gas hose?
      What would you say might be wrong with the gas hose?
      People keep saying to be sure there isn't an air-leak in the hose.
      I just can't wrap my head around that....if there were a pinhole in the gas hose, that could allow air in, there would be a gasoline leak coming out of it too, no?
      Also, there isn't any filter inline from the tank to the primer bulb.
      Also, the tank in that boat is relatively new.
      I replaced it about 3-4 yrs ago. And the boat lives in a climate controlled garage when not in use.
      Last edited by eyefish; 06-27-2013, 08:18 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Fuel hose can turn to mush from Ethanol fuels, and block up internally, it can also have a kink in the hose restricting fuel flow, a small hole in the fuel hose will not necessarily leak, remember there is negative pressure between the motor and the tank, the motor "sucks" fuel from the tank! An air leak will probably NOT cause the primer to go flat however.

Comment

Originally posted by noelm007 View Post
          the primer being soft more or less tells you the problem is from the primer back to the tank and up to the air vent, try the easy stuff first, make sure your breather vent is clear, replace the primer and fuel hose (all of it) is there a filter between the primer and the tank? if so, replace it.
          I installed a new fuel primer bulb on the boat.
          (because of that 'stall' I experienced last time out)
          Many suggested to try that 1st. So I did.

We'll see next time out if that was it.

Comment

Working...
          X