DF60 Telltale stream surging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF60 Telltale stream surging

Hi all! New forum member here with a problem I haven't seen before, Hope someone has some insight.

I've got a 1999 DF60 that has been a great motor. Recently it got ran at idle with the water to the muffs turned off. The motor had been running on the muffs for about 10 minutes to flush the salt water out of it after a day of diving. The valve at the muffs got shut off but the motor is so damn quiet my phone rang and I got distracted and forgot to walk over and shut the motor off. It ran long enough that the temp alarm went off in the gauge. It was shut down and then restarted with lukewarm water supply at the muffs. Seemed to be fine as the temp alarm did not come back on after running at idle for 15 minutes or so on the muffs.

I then took and filled my 70 gallon plastic test tank and ran the motor for another 30 minutes or so and it had a good constant stream out of the telltale and the temp alarm never came on. I figured that I had definitely taken away some life from the impeller and went ahead a bought a new kit and installed it. The old impeller was still completely intact with no missing or melted vanes and there was no buildup on any of the housing surfaces. Everything went nice and smooth.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and today I took the boat down to the bay to give it a good checkover before going salmon fishing tomorrow.

Backed the boat into the water just intending to run the motor and make sure it was cooling properly. After about 2-3 minutes of idling to warm up, the temp alarm came on...but I had a nice flow of water from the telltale. Water was not hot, barely even warm. I shut it off, let it sit for a couple minutes and then restarted it. Alarm went off and never came back on again. Ran the motor up to 2-3000 rpm's with no issues. But when the motor is sitting idling like it would be at trolling speed the telltale surges water...even at the low pressure end of things it still has pretty good flow and is not hot or even overly warm.

Any ideas what might cause this? I removed the thermostat and checked it out, everything looks good. No salt buildup or any evidence of blockage. No water in the oil or any other indications of internal problems.

I'm thinking that the telltale surge is from the thermostat opening and closing?

Thanks for any input.

Most likely you have damaged the impeller in the water pump due to running dry.

Hopefully, all you should need to do is replace the impeller.

Comment

Working...
    X