2001 df140 sarting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 df140 sarting problem

I have a 2001 df140 that is having starting problems.
    From time to time after the motor has been running for a while and then shut off it will not start. When I turn the key on everything powers up as it should and the voltage is good. I can hear something in the motor run for a few seconds then shut off, fuel pump? When the key is turned to engage the starter nothing happens except I can hear something run that sounds the same as when I turn the key on, not a clicking sound like you would hear from a low battery or bad connection. All the gauges and voltage stay the same. I work the shifter to make sure it is in neutral and work the dead man switch several times and still nothing. Batteries and all connections there are good.
    After a while it will start. Sometimes in just a few minutes and some times an hour or two.
    Took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong.
    Anyone have this problem? Suggestions?
    Thanks

By hearing the fuel pump run, you've verified two things: One, the computer is on (because it controls the grounds for the fuel pump and the starter), and Two, the main power relay for the computer/fuel pump/fuel injectors is on and supplying power.

Because some electrical connections that will work at room temperature may become high-resistence when hot, I would look at the positive side of the current flow to the starter relay, and the relay itself. You can quickly swap the starter relay with the power relay to check it out. If the fuel pump still runs, it's not the starter relay. There are two neutral safety switches (I know, why?). One is on the helm control and one is on the linkage in the engine cowl right near the cable connection from the helm. They're easy to bypass.

Somewhere in that stuff, you will find your problem. Also, clean the main battery terminals on both the battery and engine before you do anything else.

Comment

Thanks ror the reply. I will give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
      X