1995 65 hp starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 65 hp starting problem

Can anyone tell me the correct starting prodedure for a dt65. A problem I am getting is that started engine after a good deal of persuasion, left over night tried to start. A futher session of key turning. Engine fired up went out fishing, so drifting and starting engine - fine. Had long drift, tried to start engine -NO GOOD, please note day very warm. After a number of tries fired up small engine to take me back some 5 miles. After travelling for some 10 minutes tried 65 again with choke (note day very hot) engine fired up.
    Question could there be a fault with the fuel pump, I ask this because after trying to start previously with engine in tank there was no smell of fuel indicating overcharging. Any help appreciated.
    New plugs gapped and fitted and fresh fuel.
    gd
    Last edited by welshspringer; 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM.

If the primer bulb stays firm while the motor is running the fuel pump should be ok. If a warm motor requires the choke it may be time to clean the carbs.

Comment

Thanks for that, but is there a correct starting procedure, for example if engine has been idle for approx 45 minutes should I need to operate the throttle lever or choke or both together plus primer bulb? It seems that the fuel has drained back and is "air locked"??? hence my feelings that the fuel pump is causing a problem!
      As for the carb's I alway drain at end of season.
      Have misplaced - lost the owners manual.where could I get one from?
      GD
      Last edited by welshspringer; 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

The primer bulb has a check valve to keep fuel from draining back. It should stay firm while operating, if you are having to pump it back up again a short time after running the motor I would replace it. Fuel cannot drain back out of the carbs, a warm engine should have three full bowls of fuel and should restart without the choke or warmup lever with a short bump on the key.

Send me a PM, I'll send you a scan of the starting procedure from the manual.

Comment

Working...
        X