Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhythmic clunking in Suzuki 2.5 hp, but only when in gear

Greetings,

Just got my hands on a "hardly used" 2010 Suzuki 2.5 HP. Fired it up in a water barrel at the seller's house and it ran fine in neutral at various RPMs. Also runs fine in gear at very low RPMs. But as soon as I throttle up beyond about 25% when it is in gear, a clunking kicks in. It is a substantial clunk. Almost sounds as if somebody is bonking the transom with a baseball bat. The clunking is also rhythmic. The timing of it remains absolutely constant at a given RPM. When you crank up the RPMs, the clunking increases in frequency. At low RPMs, it clunks roughly every 2.5 seconds. At high RPMs, it clunks about every half second.

In addition to wanting to be able to fix this, I'm wondering if I need to have a talk with the seller about the value of his word.

Many thanks for your advice.

May be jumping out of gear, check shift linkage, check gearcase oil for water or metal in oil.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Good luck. Have 3 suzukis. 2.5 is newest. 20 hours same problem you have. Took apart lower unit. Gears chunked and shifter rod notched. Need o replace whole foot or buy a lot of parts. Cost 50% of new. Problem is weak detent spring on shift arm up top. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X