DF140 Lower unit shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Lower unit shims

Recently I attempted to overhaul the lower unit of my 2004 DF140. New bearings and seals (due to water in the oil). During reassembly, I put the stock shims back in as new. Drive shaft end play is now about double the end play as is specified in the manual (and was similar just prior to teardown so it's not any dimensional change in the bearings). According to the manual I tighten this by shimming the forward and reverse gears NOT by adding shims over the tapered roller bearing under the water pump. Is anyone familiar with this process? To check the shim on the top bearing the manual says you need a special gage tool to check length. Does anyone know the dimension of this tool? Can I simply use a vernier to measure it? Have I interpreted the manual correctly? Any advice appreciated.

Chuck

I know this is an old one, but im wondering about these shims too.
    I just renewed the two seals under the waterpump on my 2005 df 140 and found a lot of play in the main shaft bearing.
    I checked the outer race off the bearing, and it looks brand new.
    According to thise scematics 2006 DF140 Suzuki Marine Outboard TRANSMISSION (DF140T) Diagram and Parts
    there is a shimset available to seat the conical bearing better, thus getting less play.
    Can anyone confirm this is the correct way of geting rid of the play in the bearing.
    Thanks
    Bjørn

Comment

Follow shimming procedures in service manual carefully when reshimming gearcase. without proper tools it will impossible to tell if shimmed right.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I have the manual, and saw that you need the special tool to do the shimming of the gearbox. however, I dont need to do the shimming of the gears per say, as the box hasnt been opened. The only shim i planned on touching is the one beneath the two oil seals, that seats the conical bearing right. The shim in it at the moment is 0.8 mm and acording to the manual factory default is 1 mm?
        Its very apparent that the bearing is not seated properly as is, and just wondering if this shim is going to affect other parts in the gearbox as well.
        Looking at the scematics, it doesnt seem to be...
        Thanks
        Bjørn

Comment

Working...
        X