Chip out of lower unit DT25 1986

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip out of lower unit DT25 1986

Hi, I just recently got a DT25 that was made in 1986, it runs fine in a tank allthough at first there was a bit of trouble with the cooling water not getting through properly. That was fixed with some compressed air and poking around in the tell-tale, which clleared the blockage and now it works fine. I did notice a small repair on the lower unit right by where the prop joins the lower unit case (I have tried to upload a picture). I thought this was made with chemical metal but when poking at the the repair to see how strong it was, I discovered it was some sort of soft mastic or similar and it came away easily. I am going to have it TIG welded but (here's the question) is it going to be ok to use in the meantime? Is it sealed behind the location of the damage? What I mean is, is any water likely to go in or is any oil likely to fall out?

Cheers for reading.

I just noticed that the damage is not right next to where the prop meets the lower unit, it's back from that by an inch or more I hope this doesn't mean it's behind a seal/bearing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pollocks; 08-10-2013, 09:54 AM. Reason: Error in position of damage

Really? No relplies?

I'm beginning to think I've posted in the wrong place here, is this forum just a shopfront for Suzuki Parts sales? I'm perfectly prepared to be wrong and will be glad of it but I'm beginning to notice that there is only one forum section "Suzuki Outboard Parts Forum", that seems more than a little odd for a forum titled "Suzuki Outboard Forum" Can somebody venture an opinion possibly please? Even if it's to say that I'm in the wrong place.

Comment

i would say if no water comes out when you take the bottom screw out of the lower unit then your fine

Comment

Working...
      X