DF175 4Stroke - Oil Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF175 4Stroke - Oil Pump

I have a 2006 DF175 4S that runs perfectly fine. We troll fish quite a bit so putting 6hrs in a day on the OB is not big thing. As of lately, once we are done and closing for the day, we'll secure everything and then take off. I don't gun it, but will get it up as quick as I can, but as soon as I hit 3k rpms, I get the blinking oil light alarm and the engine drops to idle. I will turn off and restart and the alarm goes away other times I have to do it a couple of times and I can then try again and we get going - no problems.

When I took it to the shop for the techs to look at it, they said it was the oil sensor, either too little pressure or whatever that it was not getting enough oil - the crankcase is full. They said it could be that the tiny screen is clogged, but that they had not seen an oil pump go out on a suzuki 4S.

I had just recently put brand new oil and filter on within the last two weeks so it was still ****en in color, so the techs suggested I run some oil cleaner thru it and I did and then drained and it came out black as coal. I had just changed the oil, so I knew the engine block must be dirty. So I put new oil in and took it out and it ran fine - no errors. Then again, several weeks later - we went out and trolled for hours and again it happened. Please help me with this - has anyone else had this problem. Changing the Oil pump is going to cost me $1K.

Thanks for any assistance.

Andy
    Andy
    Ford F250 4x4
    25' Tri-Toon
    Suzuki DF175 4S
    Work to Play

For roughly $18, I'd go ahead and change out the oil pressure switch, part number 37820-99E00, and see if that solves your problem once and for all. Usually these sensors have a very small orifice, and can easily become blocked. Or the switch could merely have failed. You should at least pull it (if your techs didn't do so) and see if you can see anything blocking the orifice. I, too, doubt that the pump itself has failed.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hi Mike - you just made my day !!!!! I was worried that I was going to have to cough up $1k for this and I kept thinking that there had to be a pressure switch somewhere, but hoping it wasn't internal. I too also thought that it was too soon for it to have gone out, as a matter of fact, my neighbor came over and says he knows a Shrimper who has the same engine and has over 4k hours and not a lick of trouble.

So, please excuse my ignorance - is this something I can change out myself? Do I have to take down the engine to get to it?

Thanks !!!!

Andy
      Andy
      Ford F250 4x4
      25' Tri-Toon
      Suzuki DF175 4S
      Work to Play

Comment

Originally posted by tudunka View Post
        - is this something I can change out myself? Do I have to take down the engine to get to it?
        Hi, Andy......change out is a piece of cake:

First, remove three bolts and the fuel hose guard (#1). Then remove the ring gear cover and air intake silencer case (#2).
        img002a.jpg

Then, pull the terminal cover, and loosen the nut and disconnect the blue wire (#3) from the oil pressure switch (#4) and remove the switch.
        img002b.jpg
        Last edited by Harper; 08-17-2013, 09:32 AM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Good Morning Mike and others. Again, I thank you for the message, unfortunately I can't see the pictures, it keeps asking me to login and I AM logged in....lol. Any sugguestions on that since you're on a role ?

Staying on the same general topic - Oil, my next question is in regards to Oil Filters. Now, I have tried to do a Topic search on this, but again, I get this Security Token error - so I can't search, so here is the question with some history.

It seems that the economy drove a lot of boat shops out of business, its obvious that the boat shop FAIL to inform me that there was a oil sensor that could be switched out - instead they wanted to perform the $1k oil pump services. I am changing the oil this weekend and need a oil filter for the DF175TXK6 and they charge $18.95 for a filter - I was like *** thats alot of $$. So, I found a listing of replacement filters for 16510-93J00. Has anyone had success using another brand other than suzuki's expensive oil filter?

Thanks,

Andy
          Andy
          Ford F250 4x4
          25' Tri-Toon
          Suzuki DF175 4S
          Work to Play

Comment

Don't know the problem re: seeing the pics. Maybe try logging out and in again...There are a few glitches in the website that have been there forever and nobody seems interested in fixing any of them. One of those problems is the search feature. To use search, after clicking on "search" above go to "advanced search" at the bottom of the drop down menu, click on that, then begin your search. That's the only way that it will work. If you want the pics bad enough, PM me with your email and I'll send them to you.

I used Wix 51360 oil filters on my DF150 for a couple years (uses same filter as 175) , then Amsoil finally came out with their own EA15K10, which I now use, along with Amsoil oil and gear lube. Both filters are good, in my opinion.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Mike you have been very helpful and I want to thank you for the information. I ordered the sensor online and I found a replacement oil filter that fit my DF 175 OB. When I called the dealer for a price on the suzuki oil filter, they quoted $22.67, my replacement was $8 from the local Napa Store and it fit just fine - no leaks.

I have to admit that I am disappointed in the Suzuki Dealership in that the Techs did not suggest or even offer to replace a $18 sensor, they said that it was the Oil Pump that had to be replaced, but who knows, once I get the brand new sensor in, it may still be the pump and if so then they are vindicated. Eitherway, I just want to know what the hell is going on so I can get past all of this confusion.

I do have one more question for you, I am not a mechanic, but a good all around DIYer, so once I get the sensor in (I found it - good pics), do I have to put some sort of sealant on the threads, like on plumbing you use teflon tape...ect.....

Thanks Again !

Andy
              Andy
              Ford F250 4x4
              25' Tri-Toon
              Suzuki DF175 4S
              Work to Play

Comment

No Andy, it's best that you not apply anything to the threads on the switch, since it needs to be grounded through those threads to the engine block. With that path to ground (it's the only path) taped or impeded in any other way you risk intermittent disruption of the flow of current and setting off your low pressure alarm. You need that good contact on the threads.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Okay, understood. Wasn't sure since it is a pressure point, but it makes sense. I have ordered the part and now waiting for its arrival. I will update the forum with my results.

Again, Mike you were a great help!!!! Thank You !

PS - Where in Texas ? I'm in Boerne.

Andy
                  Andy
                  Ford F250 4x4
                  25' Tri-Toon
                  Suzuki DF175 4S
                  Work to Play

Comment

Well, well......I'm about 40 miles NW....heard of Harper (other than my username)?

BTW, I've never had to pull my pressure switch on the 150, but have replaced a few on automotive engines in my life. Never seen one yet, foreign or domestic, that wasn't a tapered thread, so they seal just fine when they're snugged down.
                    Last edited by Harper; 08-20-2013, 01:32 AM.
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hello All & Mike,

Well - the replacement Oil Sensor came in on Friday. It did come with a darkish, burnt orange material on the threads already, so all I had to do is remove the old one and screw in the new one and IT FREAKIN WORKED !!!!

Now with that said, it was a B#itch to get to it in the sense that it is a strange shape and you can not put a socket to it, so I had to use an adjustable wrench. It is lodged between the air intake and the starter ring on the top of the engine so it took a bit of working - so I did it real slow to make sure I didn't bend or snag anything.

IT FREAKIN WORKED !!! Had the toon out the next day and ran it gently at first, near the ramp just in case something went wrong and then slowly but surely got it to respond as it should and within 30 minutes of stops and goes - I had my toon up to 35.2mph (via gps) for a good solid 5 mins with more rpms to go.....

I am a happy camper and THANK YOU to Mike for the help !!!

Andy
                      Andy
                      Ford F250 4x4
                      25' Tri-Toon
                      Suzuki DF175 4S
                      Work to Play

Comment

Thanks Andy, for letting us know the outcome, even if I was wrong about it being a piece of cake to change out
                        Mike
                        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

DF175 4Stroke - Oil Pump

I think I have the same problem. Oil pressure starting blinking for no apparent reason. Engine is an 08 with relatively few hours and great care. Since my tach quit, I'm suspecting instruments, sensor or some kind of grounding issue. I too can't see the first picture. Any chance of reposting? Ted

Comment

Hi Ted,
                            Are you having trouble because the pictures are too small, or it just isn't there at all? If too small, just click on the picture, and it enlarges. If not there at all, I can scan the picture in the manual again and post it, though if you can't get the original, I'm not sure you'll see the new post, either. But let me know.
                            Mike
                            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
                              Don't know the problem re: seeing the pics. Maybe try logging out and in again...There are a few glitches in the website that have been there forever and nobody seems interested in fixing any of them. One of those problems is the search feature. To use search, after clicking on "search" above go to "advanced search" at the bottom of the drop down menu, click on that, then begin your search. That's the only way that it will work. If you want the pics bad enough, PM me with your email and I'll send them to you.

I used Wix 51360 oil filters on my DF150 for a couple years (uses same filter as 175) , then Amsoil finally came out with their own EA15K10, which I now use, along with Amsoil oil and gear lube. Both filters are good, in my opinion.
                              Thanks for the great advice HARPER. Im having trouble finding the AMSOIL Filter #EA15K10 though. Can you confirm this is correct part number. Amsoil have an EA15K01 filter but not a EA15K10.
                              Regards,
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X