2008 140 4 stroke not cranking or trimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 140 4 stroke not cranking or trimming

I tried to start the motor but couldn't prime it. The motor turned over twice then seemed to loose power from ignition and trim. Jack plate and all other electronics work. Replaced fuel prime ball and now have fuel in the line and motor. When trying trim button on motor I hear power. Sounds like clicking. Pulled fuse and had good voltage. Fuse not blown. When trying to crank, alarm sounds and will not stop.also when cranking I hear power at the motor. Batteries are fine due to all other instruments working. Hoping its a safety mechanism that is locked out due to cranking the motor without fuel in line. Cannot figure it out. Any suggestions?

bad battery connections? Just because some instruments work, does not mean the battery is good, or the connections are clean and tight.

Comment

There shouldn't be a safety if you don't have fuel in the line. Search on here for the "No Power at the helm" thread (it should be on page three of this forum. It sounds like you may have a power problem (corrosion) from the helm to the engine on the white wire. Read my comments on troubleshooting and see if your problems are the same.
      Last edited by gdubroc; 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Problem solved

After cleaning all battery terminals and tightening I still had nothing. Turned out to be a corroded wire (white)going from ignition harness to gear selector. Replaced wire heat shrunk and taped heavily. Motor fired right up and trim works as it should. Thank you for your suggestions. Your trouble shooting saved me a ton of time and headaches.

Comment

You are welcome. When I had the problem, I couldn't find a good resource to help troubleshoot the issue. After solving the problem I decided to post the problem and solution to help others avoid the three days it took me to find the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X