No announcement yet.

No power at the helm, remote trim not working, no power to Key switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guy for making it as simple as possible for me to understand. This weekend is going to windy so perfect time for me to stay home and do some repair work.

Comment

power cutting off & on

Having much the same problem's with a friends boat [80 HP Suzuki] Have been advised to change relay in fuse box on side of engine [ relay no 156700-2480] , Have done this and set motor running ,It did not stop in that time of 45 minutes . This relay has WHITE wires going to it , so maybe its part of this problem !! . Can any one send me a copy of wiring diagram for this area around the fuse box as we would like to put some kind of test on the old relay . Regards Steve ... In Western Australia ....

Comment

Steve, the white wire actually feeds through that relay from the helm if I remember correctly. When I started troubleshooting the problem, I received some bad information that the engine fed the helm and looked at those relays (there are two) and since they are electronic, they are hard to test. I found something on the net that showed how to test them but I had already figured out that the source of the problem was elsewhere and didn't save the info. If you think you have a relay problem, you could swap it for the other one. I don't have the wiring diagram with me; it is on the other computer but you can easily trace the white wire from the harness, through the fuse and through the relay.

Comment

Hi gdubroc , Thanks for the reply ,We did swap the relay from another harness , problem was it was in one of its "" I'll start this time thanks moods"" but fired up and ran for the 45 minutes while we replaced some lights on the front of the pontoon , Was looking for wiring diagram to see where power in and power out were on that relay , Don't want to risk powering the wrong terminal !.
          Thanks for your time ,Regards Steve...............

Comment

Steve G, try this. The white wire starts at the battery.
            Attached Files

Comment

No good guys... I thought I got it when I spotted a white battery cable was corroded but after rewiring it i still receiving no motor start at the helm. I have rewired all the connectors but now even lost power for trim at the helm. I double checked to make sure I wired the correct wires.

Comment

So where you reconnected wires. Can only suggest a simple volt meter to see where power fails
                Do you have a battery switch that can power off just about everything?
                There should be a main wire out the back--from memory a red wire. 6 or 9 inches long -should splice to white
                Can take a straight pin to push through the wire to attach volt meter probe to
                Go from battery out until you find the break in the circuit

Comment

nbh00d, did you skin the wires back to good copper? I had to cut over an inch off to get a good connection. At first I cut the wires and skinned 1/4", connected them and still nothing, then skinned back to bright clean copper and it has worked since.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply has been busy with work and boat is not at my home. I have taken it to a mechanic and have skinned back to good cooper by removing 30cm of wire. However, wires checked by the mechanic and still same issue. He suggested me to go to suzuki spe******t and diagnosis the ECU module. I will book for a session with suzuki and see what they say. Hopefully it doesn't cost me an arm and leg. I have not been in the water for few weeks and it is killing me.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
                      Having much the same problem's with a friends boat [80 HP Suzuki] Have been advised to change relay in fuse box on side of engine [ relay no 156700-2480] , Have done this and set motor running ,It did not stop in that time of 45 minutes . This relay has WHITE wires going to it , so maybe its part of this problem !! . Can any one send me a copy of wiring diagram for this area around the fuse box as we would like to put some kind of test on the old relay . Regards Steve ... In Western Australia ....
                      hmmm I am have the same problem.
                      after sitting for six months -- no power - new batterys
                      I have Power at engine tilt.
                      No power anywhere else.
                      None to the key or gauges.
                      It may flicker for a split second, after turning the key, -- then nothing.
                      Testing - I have power from the battery all the way to the RELAY relay #156700-2480 -- white going in is hot - nothing going out.

David
                      Last edited by pelermon; 03-26-2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I don't have the schematic handy
                        however.. you should have power to the relay as you describe..
                        except that the relay should require a signal to activate it and put power out the other side.

What you describe is exactly what problem I was having..
                        the broken connection is between the battery switch and the front power lead to the helm where a lot of things happen
                        check under the dash where the power source feeds the panel.. could be the female end connection has come loose
                        could be a bad in-line splice..
                        let me know what you find
                        thanks art

Comment

Relays. There are two -exactly the same interchange and test
                          However I doubt that is your problem
                          From battery there are two leads off positive side. One to magnetic switch on starter motor -heavy wire maybe size 10 - from same terminal 2nd wire feeds back to 30A fuse
                          2nd wire from battery feeds through a 15A fuse to ignition switch
                          I believe with my boat this is a fuse under dash that besides feeding ignition switch powers everything else at the front end. This is the power source you need to find. As I mentioned it could be where this wire connects. It could be a bad ground wire as well but less likely
                          Positive wire off battery switch - to dash - check splice carefully my splice is somewhat exposed to the elements connection was held together with insulation-wire was gone in the center - in my book #1 place to start looking
                          Good luck
                          Last edited by artdf175; 10-19-2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

FIXED -- Mine anyway --
                            White wire coming off the battery switch goes to a fuse block.
                            That fuse block was corroded.
                            Replaced with new - everything is cool.

Comment

You can interchange that ignition relay with the same starter relay (almost nest to it) to verify.

Comment

Got some update from Suzuki and they found out the problem is the harness from the control box. However, they said it is not a simple task as they need to take off the motor in order to put all the wiring back on. It should get fix by this weekend just in time for fishing. I will keep you guys updated with more info.

Comment

Working...
                                X