DT100 won't run in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT100 won't run in gear

My 1999 DT 100 has less than 500 hrs- it shows no corrosion (I run mostly in fresh water), it runs and revs fine out of the water (in and out of gear), but often stalls when shifted into gear in the water. It also stalls when idling in forward and the throttle is punched- I have to accelerate slowly- no good for towing water skiers. This has been an ongoing problem, but the motor always ran- until this year.
    This spring I had the carbs rebuilt, new water pump, new plugs, fuel water separator, complete tune up (cost over $1K), drained ALL the old gas and put in new gas ($15 worth),and the first time I took the boat out, the engine still acted up. The dealer said it was my fuel- so i drained it again- I found no water in fuel or in the water separatoreither time- I replaced gas tank and hose, got new gas ($10 worth- I am learning) and motor ran fine- for about an hour- then when it refused to restart and I had to get towed in by the harbormaster.
    Naturally the motor started a couple of days later, but continued act up stalling, and running erratically when in the water. So back to the shop again-Now the shop says they need to rebuild the carbs again, saying that I ruined their work with bad fuel.
    I have heard the DT100 is a "problem engine".
    Any ideas?? Maybe a fuel pump?? or do I just junk the engine?

Got the same engine.

Had it sit for 2 years due to health issues, when tried to start would start withstarting fluid but die in gear.

Was the Carbs, Hi speed jets being gummed.

Boat went to Texas and sat for 4 years.

Just got it in water and the carbs need dissassembly and cleaning, still wouldn't start w/o a kick. Just beat that today removing and cleaning the selenoid and setting the valve 1 1/2 turns open on the injector circuit.

I only have 260 hours on mine and it doesn't like sitting period.

Don't use E10 fuel in it, have a good fuel line filter.

Check the oil filter unit. If you change brands of oil find it will clog up.

Use an additive like StaBil and or SeaFoam to keep the tank clean

Comment

If your mechanic has a spare oil level sensor have him contact me <BG>

Where are you. If your decide to junk the engine drop me a line. Interested in a spare parts source

Comment

Working...
      X