possible corrosion problem w/2005 DF 140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible corrosion problem w/2005 DF 140

Looking at purchasing a 2005 DF 140 25" shaft 4 stroke suzuki. Most recently became aware of the corrosion problem due to Suzuki installing a steel plug in an aluminum case. Those that follow the forum closely certainly know about this problem with the older units.

I asked the dealer about it. They said they have looked at it and it is fine. I inquired further and figured out really quickly the salesman didn't have a full understanding of the problem as he indicated there was no corrosion on the outside. When I explained to him the only way to examine the corrosion problem is to remove the plug he started back peddling. I asked him to have his tech removed and replace the plug with the aluminum one by **** Plug LLC. He called back and said they attempted to remove the plug and could not get it out.

Is this because the corrosion process has already begun? How concerned should I be?

Can the dealer not "drill the old plug and use a hack saw to cut it out and then replace with correct plug? I've read somewhere that is one solution.

I want a permanent fix before buying the motor as I don't want to incur the added expense down the road to have it welded. BTW...the motor has 850 hours and they want $4,700.00 with all rigging and control included and installed. Is this a fair price assuming motor has been maintained well which I'm confident it has.?

Thank you in advance.

Yes to nearly all of those things, it has deteriorated, it has to be removed (somehow), yes the dealer should be able to get it out, but the casting may already be too thin to fit a new one. Whatever the outcome, get the dealer to solve the problem before you pay any money at all, do not fall for a "patch", it has to be removed and replaced, or the engine holder replaced.

Comment

Working...
    X