Help setting up df300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help setting up df300

I just hung a used 300 and purchased and installed new digital controls/gauges. Do I need the diagnostic software to initialize the system or can I just plug in the harnesses and go? Thanks in advance, tr

No, you dont need the diagnostic software to set things up and get going. You can do it yourself.

I am making one key assumption here.....because you are pretty light-on with information about exactly what you have got/done, so its hard to be sure.

Anyway, my assumption is that you have installed the Suzuki SMIS 4" gauges, and that they are connected to the DF300 engine interface via a NMEA 2000 network. Ad that the network is picking up power from the engine wiring harness, so that as soon as the key is turned on, the NMEA2000 network is also powered up. That is the normal practice.

OK?

In that case, once everything is connected up, and you turn the engine key to the on position, you should hear a strong beep noise and the SMIS gauges should come to life. If its the first time they have been turned on, they might even prompt you to do that process.

You need to go into the gauge menu system and "set up" both the gauges and the boat configuration. For example, select one engine/one tank, if that is how your boat is set up. There are several options to choose from.

You will find in the gauges menu the options to set your gas tank capacity (critical for the system to show you gas levels and gas remaining values). You also will want to go into the network menu in the gauge and ensure the interface cable has detected the engine year and hp, if not, you need to set those.

You then need to set data sources. For example, speed could be defaulted to pitot speed, but you will probably want that to be changed to GPS speed (speed over ground). You can also set other data sources as well, such as fuel level (could be from the tank sender unit, or calculated by the interface - network). Also, units of measure preferences can be set up, such as statute miles, nautical miles etc.

Work your way thru the menu system and you will see whats there and what you can change to suit your preferences. Its a good way to learn what capabilities the system has anyway!

Cheers

ML

Comment

suzuki

Thanks ml. So far I have only installed the gauges and controls but have yet to connect the harnesses. I will follow the outline you gave tomorrow and hopefully fire up the engine. I'll have to confirm with the boats owner the size of the fuel tank, the rest should be pretty straight forward stuff. I don't remember if the Suzuki guage came with an nmea backbone, I assume it did. I did notice the engine uses a control module, looks like the harness hooks into that but I didn't see where the nmea cable connects to. Do you happen to know what color wire is power after the switch, or rather 12v with the switch on? T.R.

Comment

The SMIS digital engine gauges will ONLY work if they are connected to the engine thru a NMEA 2000 network. So if not already there, you will have to set it up.

I cant advise you re the engine wiring harness, as I am not familiar with that side of things.

Suggest you have a look at the Lowrance website and search for Suzuki NMEA 2000, there is some good info there and some diagrams that make things clear from the network side of things. Fyi, the Suzuki SMIS gauges are the same as the Lowrance LMF 400 gauges. Just a different badge on the front.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-12-2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Suzi

I was just informed I need the laptop and diagnostic hardware as the engine needs to be programmed to see the binnacle control.

Comment

Working...
          X