Oiloiloil???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oiloiloil???

who is using oil other than Suzuki brand oil, and what brand are you using, I will be servicing the DF175s soon when the boat comes out of the water. I use Mobil 1 on my Street bike and pickup truck, but I don't want to hurt them as they only have 100 hrs on them. was considering royal purple, amsoil and motul. but not sure which is the best fo the zukes. also whats the best lower lubricant for these 175s, money is no object. I want the best!

No experience with Motul, but know folks who are very happy with Royal Purple Marine oil, and I use Amsoil Marine oil and gear lube and have used Amsoil for 40 years in my vehicles, my tractor, etc.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I thought I read where Suzuki does NOT recommend synthetic oil? I have been using conventional oil in my DF 115 with good results. I am not sure that the advantages of synthetic, flow at low temperatures and resistance to heat is applicable to outboards. They don't see below freezing temps and with ambient temp water being circulated the oil temp does not approach what happens in a auto. Also consider that all oils today meet much higher standards than just a few years ago, API SN. The temps in today's small displacement Eco Boost and turbos in general are much tougher applications than outboards. Lastly being on the water the engines are not exposed to the dirt and grime that an auto sees. I change my oil once a year and it does not look much different than it does when new.

Comment

To each his own, dude. But you read wrong. This from the Suzuki factory service manual:

"Recommended oil:
        ...4 stroke motor oil
        ...API classification: SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ ...or NMMA FC-W Classification: SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ
        ...Viscosity rating: SAE 10W-40 or NMMA FC-W 10W-40"

The above requirements were as listed for 2007-2008 model years. Requirements for engines newer than that may well include the higher classifications such as SN. Also, Suzuki's own branded oil is a synthetic blend, and I believe what is being sold today is classified SG. Both Royal Purple and Amsoil marine oils meet the requirements or all marine outboard manufacturers. That said, I know people who use regular automotive oil, both conventional and synth, who have had no problems, but I would prefer to stick to an oil specifically made for outboard motors, since they utilize different additive formulations for corrosion and such.

I personally prefer synthetics in any application, and since I can get the synth as cheap as Suzuki's own branded oil, for me it's a no-brainer.
        Last edited by Harper; 09-21-2013, 02:11 PM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Correct to each his own. Consumer reports did a long term study of motor oils in New York taxi cabs and found that there was no difference in any of the conventional major motor oil brands. Interestingly they also found that changing oil more frequently than the mfg interval was a complete waste of money. they changed half at 3000 miles the other at 6000 or 75000 depending on what that particular mfg recommended. After the extended test period they tore down the engines and inspected them for differences, none existed. They also ran some with Mobil 1 and those engines also looked the same. One engine suffered a catastrophic failure and it was an Mobil 1 engine, they did not attribute the failure to lubrication. I guarantee that there in no marine application that can come close to the stop and go of a NY city taxi.

Comment

Not my intent at all to try to convince you of the benefits of one oil over another. Only pointing out that you were incorrect about Suzuki not recommending synthetics. Wouldn't want Twista or anyone else to get bad info.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Twista View Post
              who is using oil other than Suzuki brand oil, and what brand are you using, I will be servicing the DF175s soon when the boat comes out of the water. I use Mobil 1 on my Street bike and pickup truck, but I don't want to hurt them as they only have 100 hrs on them. was considering royal purple, amsoil and motul. but not sure which is the best fo the zukes. also whats the best lower lubricant for these 175s, money is no object. I want the best!
              I was using Mobil One as well
              Dealer advised against oil for auto use. reason auto engines run at higher temps and burn off residues better
              outboards only run at 150 +/- and outboard oil is formulated to work at this temperature
              are you having any oil consumption problems? my 175 is using a lot of oil and currently have not found out why

Comment

I run around 80-100 hrs per year, and change the oil once a year. Use at most 1/2 qt in the year on my DF150. I've seen your post on oil consumption, and have no idea why yours is so high.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I am not sure why you would mess about trying to save a few dollars on oil on a near new motor! just use what the maker recommends (I know it is usually more expensive) I think "genuine" Suzuki oil is Motul anyway? well it is here in Aus, I just looked at a bottle.

Comment

My tech who is a very good and long standing Suzuki tech recommended Rotella if not Suzuki oil. It is what I have been using for years now.

Comment

I was actually looking for an answer to the second part of my question ,, which is what are you guys using in you engines... that will give me a better idea than telling me to stick with Suzuki brand,, I live in nyc and could have asked a taxi what they use....

Comment

Working...
                      X